HEI ignition

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I just got my Classic HEI ignition running today. Ran great at first, I was checking timing, pulled off vacuum line suddenly it ran like crap. Hooked vacuum line back up and didn't help, then suddenly it smoothed out then back to running bad. Gave it some gas, at about 2500 to 3000rpm it started popping then went away when let off gas. I have a call in to Trailbeast but thought I would throw out here if anyone had any ideas if I missed something. One thing I noticed is when I pulled vacuum line off carb it did't change timing at all. Bad vacuum can maybe? thanks

Suspect a vacuum leak, perhaps in the rubber hose you were fooling with. Try capping off that "spark advance" port right at the carburetor (as a test).

Re the HEI module, insure it has a good ground to BATT-. Don't rely on a sheet-metal screw into the car's body.

Hi Bill, see you in here a lot. I was thinking ground myself, cause all I have is screws into body with star washers. Run a ground to battery you say? I'll check both items you pointed out. thanks Mark

Put a direct ground to battery also swapped out voltage regulators just in case. No change, it still starts breaking up about 3000rpm also running very rich compared to before.

Very first thing I'd do is run good solid 12V direct to the HEI / coil.

Make absolutely certain you have the pickup coil connected (phased) correctly

I actually run a factory Mopar coil with mine, works just fine. No resistor

Turned out to be a bad coil wire!!! :banghead: Cut wire shorter and put new terminal on it, fired it up and it no longer broke up at 2500rpm. Had talked to Greg and he was great walking me through things to check, can't thank him enough. Car runs smoother and seems to have better acceleration, we'll see if mileage improves that would be a bonus. :cheers:

Yup. Sometimes "it's the simple stuff." Thanks for the update. Many don't

Turned out to be a bad coil wire!!! :banghead: Cut wire shorter and put new terminal on it, fired it up and it no longer broke up at 2500rpm. Had talked to Greg and he was great walking me through things to check, can't thank him enough. Car runs smoother and seems to have better acceleration, we'll see if mileage improves that would be a bonus. :cheers:

OH!, Yea leave me hanging but tell everyone else you found the problem. :D

Glad you found the problem in any case.
We were just talking in another thread about a high RPM miss and that exact problem was mentioned be two really smart guy's :D
After I talked to you it crossed my mind that I might have mentioned the wires and their condition.:banghead: :D

Oh yeah, reminds us. Another common trick for spark issues. Look at the engine running in the dark. If you see spark demons flashing around, time to find the blockages and "leaks". The HV discharges will find their way to ground somehow, worst-case arcing back inside the coil.

OH!, Yea leave me hanging but tell everyone else you found the problem. :D

Glad you found the problem in any case.
We were just talking in another thread about a high RPM miss and that exact problem was mentioned be two really smart guy's :D
After I talked to you it crossed my mind that I might have mentioned the wires and their condition.:banghead: :D

Ouch, I think I sent a PM to you, but if not sorry. :eek:ops:

Oh yeah, reminds us. Another common trick for spark issues. Look at the engine running in the dark. If you see spark demons flashing around, time to find the blockages and "leaks". The HV discharges will find their way to ground somehow, worst-case arcing back inside the coil.

Good idea tonight, with higher discharge system might be in distress. thanks

-
Back