Hei won't start after leaving key on

-

3404speed

Ancient Decrepit Member
Reaction score
Was changing my starter on the slant six, had the battery unhooked, hooked it back up, and left the key on for probably 20 minutes while doing other stuff, then the coil would fire.

Switched coils with another one that I assumed worked, still nothing.

11.8 volts at the jumper that bypasses the ceramic resistor and at the blue wire going into the coil.

Thinking it is the module...buying another one tomorrow unless someone else can think of a problem

module is fried it is the weak link in that system / get a blue streak from napa to replace it stay away from wells ampco they are junk

I could not remember, so I just now checked my own car

HEI modules should NOT draw current through the coil with key on/ engine off.

I 'spose maybe some offbrand units do.

Make SURE the module is grounded

Turn key on/ engine off and check both sides of the coil. You should read "close to battery" on both sides of the coil, as well as the battery feed terminal at the HEI

Could be your dist. The current in the pickup coil is VERY low, and those connectors do become corroded. Wiggle the dist. connector in/ out to scrub the terminals clean, and "feel" how tight they are.

Put your meter on low AC volts, hook it to the two disconnected distributor pickup coil terminals and crank the engine. The dist. should generate nearly 1V AC

A SIDE NOTE. your reading of 11.X volts is LOW. This may NOT have any bearing on the problem, but do the following:

First, check for voltage drop in the ignition harness, which will ALSO cause overcharging. To do that, turn the key to "run" / engine off. Hook one probe to the positive battery post, and the other to your ballast jumper. You are hoping for a VERY low reading, the lower the better. If over .2V (two TENTHS of a volt) try to find out why, and if it's more tha .3V or more, get more serious.

You are checking the circuit path from the battery -- fuse link -- bulkhead connector -- ammeter circuit -- ignition switch connector -- through the switch -- back OUT the switch connector on the DARK BLUE ign "run" wire -- back out the bulkhead connector -- to your ballast jumper.

ALSO check your resistor bypass circuit, which is NEEDED for starting. To do that, hook your meter to the ballast jumper and ground. Crank the engine USING THE KEY. DO NOT jumper the start relay for this test. You should read "close to battery" during cranking, and at LEAST 10.5V

If all the above checks out, try to check the coil TO DO THAT, obtain 'any' distributor points condenser (capacitor) or even use the radio suppression condenser, which should already be on the coil. FOR THIS TEST ONLY move the condenser from the coil NEG to ground. "Rig" the coil up with a high tension test gap, such as a plug wire and spark plug. Just lay the dist. on the fender, or even leave it installed.

Now, take a clip lead and hook the coil POSITIVE terminal to the battery.

Take a second clip lead and hook it to the coil NEGATIVE post. Take an insulated screwdriver, etc in the end of the clip lead, and every time you short the coil NEG to ground AND THEN remove it from ground, the coil should make a spark.

If this checks OK, replace the HEI module. You really should have a spare anyhow. Buy a good quality one like a Blue Streak

yeah, 11.x volts is low, fried a couple of HEI boxes before I realized they like close to 14v... at 12.5 they would stop working at the worst times or get flaky after a couple of weeks ( nothing like pushing your mopar in rush hour traffic :( )

I had a problem like this when I had a 66 GT. Turn key to start, died when key was released. By-pass the Ammeter was the quick fix.

apparently no signal from the distributor will not let the module work at all...this has happened before on stock mopars i have had before...don't know why I didn't think of it ...I read some other forums, and it was mentioned...

apparently no signal from the distributor will not let the module work at all...this has happened before on stock mopars i have had before...don't know why I didn't think of it ...I read some other forums, and it was mentioned...

Uh....yeah, I mentioned it in my post above. One big failure in the pickup circuit is right in the connector -- they get corroded, etc. and there is no current in there to "burn" across the connection. My old 340/ Landcruiser did that, and 'course it was constantly in the mud/ snow/ etc

Yeah, sorry, I did read that and had disconnected and reconnected that a couple times, it is covered with oil, no rust forming. Cleaned and connected. The one I replaced it with did not fit the slant Distributor, so I modified the thing with a razor blade.

2012-02-24_11-23-09_625.jpg

You can see where the grommet is, and my initial cut. I simply sliced the rest of the grommet off, slid it down the wire,and pushed it into the slot under the cap.

-
Back