Hello all - new member, longtime Dart owner, and I need some help....

-

SFGlam

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just joined this group. So, Here goes.....I've owned my 65 Dart for 21 years.....I am the 4th owner, and she is native to the East Bay (Oakland/Berkeley/Alameda) in the Bay area (CA). I have all of the original paperwork - bill of sale, initial maintenance receipts, the first 25 years of registration, etc. I've taken great care of her, she is in amazing condition, and in 2020 I was finally able to realize my dream of getting her upholstery re-done! she looks SO pretty! This car means everything to me, and She's been more like a family member than just a car (I'm sure many of you can relate).

3 months ago, she was stolen from the BART (subway/train) station right down the street from where I live. I have parked her there for YEARS, but am always super careful and militant about WHERE I park her. this night, I parked in my usual spot directly in front of the entrance. I took the train into the City to have dinner with my boyfriend, and when I came out later that evening she was gone. I am still in shock. The police came, took the report, and as expected there was no camera footage of the incident.

Since then I have done anything and everything I can to try and find her. Social media, driving around the usual stolen car hot spots, reaching out to all the local news media (nada), passing out flyers at the Good Guys car show...I even hired a psychic! I also constantly check for parking tickets, tow, follow up with the police, etc. nothing.

I've been told:

She's in Mexico
She's on a ship somewhere
She's nearby but hiding out inside somewhere until things "cool down"
It was gang related

Yes - I should have had a kill switch or an air tag - but honestly this is all 20/20 and again - I was always super cautious about where I would drive or park and the unfortunate uptick in stolen cars/break ins where I live has been a pretty recent phenomenon.

I constantly check Craigslist, Facebook, etc to see if someone tries to sell her there, but so far nothing.

I'm hoping that sharing her here will add more visibility. If you have any questions (or suggestions), feel free to ask. and if this should be posted somewhere else, I'm all ears. This has been an extremely lonely and frustrating and sad situation.

Thank you.

20201025_175511.jpg

car.jpg

P1000207 (3)_LI.jpg

20201017_170949.jpg

Check local impound lots.

Easy car to steal with the simple points ignition and non locking steering without the key.

There is a chance someone hot wired it and jumped the starter to take it for a joy ride, then abandoned the car to avoid getting into trouble for stealing it.

If this is the case they usually end up in an impound lot for being parked somewhere they are not supposed to be parked.

And yes unfortunately you will have to pay the impound fee to get it back.

Happened to me at 18 years old. Went into Trade School in downtown Minneapolis, parked in the school lot with my nice looking '64 Chev Impala 2 door.

Came out of school and all that was left was a small pile of glass on the ground from them breaking the vent window to gain access.

Turns out a Minneapolis garbage inspector was out on his job and saw a young man beating the car on a side street. Garbage inspector called the police and they arrested the young man.

I got the car back (out of impound), out of gas, 8 track and tool box out of the trunk stolen.

I am thinking the impound lot people were the ones that popped the trunk and took the tools. Shady bunch of people operating the impound. Told them I need some gas to get it started, their reply was: it's not our problem. Very rude impound lot owners, as me a young man trying to get my car out of their lot.

At least I got the car back, but what a sinking feeling first seeing it gone.

☆☆☆☆☆

Here is a '65 in Albuquerque NM for 2000 and no title.

Different side moulding. For 2 grand could be a cheep replacement for you to keep your dream alive.

You have the title off your car, but the vin numbers won't match. Hmmmm......

Screenshot_20230608-070413_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

One other shot is you can take your title card and proof of insurance, go into your local DMV.

Tell them the car was stolen and you want to cancel the license plate number for your car. (Surrender the plate, without the physical plate).

That way if someone driving it gets pulled over, first things the cops do is run the plate > BUSTED, and off to jail they go.

Then your car gets towed to impound, where it will come up on the system so you can get it back.

☆☆☆☆☆

☆☆☆☆☆

Also one thing about Surrendering you Plate number with the DMV and letting them know the car was stolen.

Now your Vehicle Identification Number will be Red Flagged as stolen.

So if the people that stole it try and resell it without the title it will still have the VIN number that the next potential buyer can run and check out, like them running a CarFax on the VIN and it shows up stolen.

So this is the next step, Contact CarFax with your make, model, year, and VIN, and current license plate number, and report to them it has been stolen so they can get the current info on your car into their system.

You might even want to run a CarFax on your car yourself (39.00) if it has been in an accident it will show up on a police report in their file on your car.

Kind of like you having to do your own Detective/Police work to find your vehicle yourself, because frankly the police could care less.

☆☆☆☆☆

Started out kind of long winded, but it takes time to think and put this all together.

Post #6 is a path to get you some results.

20230608_210306.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Started out kind of long winded, but it takes time to think and put this all together.

Post #6 is a path to get you some results.

View attachment 1716100138

☆☆☆☆☆

Thank you George for your replies. Just to fill you in:

The car was immediately reported stolen, so it's in the stolen car database. I have verified this both on my own, and while chatting with a cop one night. he was sitting across the street from my building one night, doing paperwork, so I went and chatted with him for a while. He pulled my car right up in his dash computer.

I have also followed up with the police and called CHP numerous times.

I was checking for parking tickets and impound weekly, but I stopped doing that about a month ago. I also called a couple other tow companies and they said that if my car came in I would immediately be alerted, but it would most likely go to the official city impound lot.

I had a club on it, but I guess that doesn't mean **** anymore.

I've since been paid out by my insurance company (much less than what I was hoping) so as far as that's concerned it's done.

I really don't think this was a take the car for a joyride and dump it kinda thing. While that IS common here in Oakland, this isn't really a joyride kinda car?

I tried hiring a drone operator but that never really went anywhere.

My dad said "hey, you should contact Jay Leno's Garage!" so I did - 3 times - never heard back. His thinking is that he could get the word out, etc.

I ended up on this Discord server with all these cyber security people and some of them are convinced it was some type of gang-related operation.

Anyway I'm sure there is more but that's all I got for now.

thanks again!

Also one thing about Surrendering you Plate number with the DMV and letting them know the car was stolen.

Now your Vehicle Identification Number will be Red Flagged as stolen.

So if the people that stole it try and resell it without the title it will still have the VIN number that the next potential buyer can run and check out, like them running a CarFax on the VIN and it shows up stolen.

So this is the next step, Contact CarFax with your make, model, year, and VIN, and current license plate number, and report to them it has been stolen so they can get the current info on your car into their system.

You might even want to run a CarFax on your car yourself (39.00) if it has been in an accident it will show up on a police report in their file on your car.

Kind of like you having to do your own Detective/Police work to find your vehicle yourself, because frankly the police could care less.

☆☆☆☆☆
Didn't think about CarFax....I will look into it. thanks!

oops - CarFax won't work......booo

CARFAX Reports are available for vehicles manufactured since 1981, when the 17-character VIN was standardized.

Sometimes the color is off in pics - is this car light blue, light green? Is it a slant 6/? Automatic? model 170?

Hard to keep an eye out without more specific info...

Sometimes the color is off in pics - is this car light blue, light green? Is it a slant 6/? Automatic? model 170?

Hard to keep an eye out without more specific info...
hi - yes thank you for asking. She is light blue/kind of a seafoam color....( the official paint color is JJ-1 - Light Turquoise) Slant 6, 225. Original black California license plates, some stickers on the back window......any other questions feel free to ask.

Looks like the Light Blue was a popular color for '65.

Here is a wagon.

1965 Dodge Dart 170 4d Wagon front.jpg

Also Kurt Cobain had a light blue '65 4 door Dart too.

Screenshot_20230609-014215_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

@Princess Valiant
Any chance you have caught wind of the Light Blue 1965 4 door Dart that the OP (original poster) is looking for?

I know you like these cars.

☆☆☆☆☆

Looks like the Light Blue was a popular color for '65.

Here is a wagon.

View attachment 1716100205

Also Kurt Cobain had a light blue '65 4 door Dart too.

View attachment 1716100206

☆☆☆☆☆
haha um yeah.....funny story about Kurt's Dart. back in 2020, when I went down the rabbit hole researching the upholstery for my car, I stumbled upon photos of his Dart. somehow I never knew he had one. So I went crazy trying to find some interior photos, and saw that the car was traveling to some exhibits and eventually was being put up for auction by his sister.

Cut to a year ago, when my friend who works for the auction house that was handling the sale of the car posted about it on Facebook. I happened to be going to LA the weekend before the auction, and I sent him a message begging him to let me come look at the car in person before it was sold! Unfortunately that didn't happen, and the car sold for.....$375,000!!!!!!!!!!!

It's crazy how similar our cars are. now that I am able to see the upholstery on his, it turns out that we had the EXACT same! photo attached is the reveal from my upholstery shop when they took the seat covers off (that had been on since the 90's)...

NIRVANA: KURT COBAIN PERSONALLY OWNED 1965 DODGE DART - WITH NFT •

20200930_144818.jpg

haha um yeah.....funny story about Kurt's Dart. back in 2020, when I went down the rabbit hole researching the upholstery for my car, I stumbled upon photos of his Dart. somehow I never knew he had one. So I went crazy trying to find some interior photos, and saw that the car was traveling to some exhibits and eventually was being put up for auction by his sister.

Cut to a year ago, when my friend who works for the auction house that was handling the sale of the car posted about it on Facebook. I happened to be going to LA the weekend before the auction, and I sent him a message begging him to let me come look at the car in person before it was sold! Unfortunately that didn't happen, and the car sold for.....$375,000!!!!!!!!!!!

It's crazy how similar our cars are. now that I am able to see the upholstery on his, it turns out that we had the EXACT same! photo attached is the reveal from my upholstery shop when they took the seat covers off (that had been on since the 90's)...

NIRVANA: KURT COBAIN PERSONALLY OWNED 1965 DODGE DART - WITH NFT •

View attachment 1716100208
That's interesting, the Cobain story and sale price.

Unreal, too bad your insurance company did not do a comperable sales search and come up with Cobain's Dart, before they did the payout for you.

They can take your car away, but they will never take away all of the good memories that you have had with your car.

Fond Memories

☆☆☆☆☆

That's interesting, the Cobain story and sale price.

Unreal, too bad your insurance company did not do a comperable sales search and come up with Cobain's Dart, before they did the payout for you.

They can take your car away, but they will never take away all of the good memories that you have had with your car.

Fond Memories

☆☆☆☆☆
oh - I tried to offer this as a comparable, but sadly I'm not a famous dead rockstar :)
thanks for your comments.....it's been unbelievably devastating, I feel like I've lost a part of myself. I keep trying to find some meaning in all of this, so far I haven't....

oh - I tried to offer this as a comparable, but sadly I'm not a famous dead rockstar :)
thanks for your comments.....it's been unbelievably devastating, I feel like I've lost a part of myself. I keep trying to find some meaning in all of this, so far I haven't....

Guess the way to look at it is:

"I had 21 good years with that car, and fortunate to even own it in the first place."

Life is full of uncertainties, beyond our control. Make peace, there is a lot of good living ahead yet. Don't want to end up with past events robbing you of what could be in the future.

Life is not always fair.

One of my favorite saying is:

"Today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

☆☆☆☆☆

Guess the way to look at it is:

"I had 21 good years with that car, and fortunate to even own it in the first place."

Life is full of uncertainties, beyond our control. Make peace, there is a lot of good living ahead yet. Don't want to end up with past events robbing you of what could be in the future.

Life is not always fair.

One of my favorite saying is:

"Today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

☆☆☆☆☆
love this - thank you.

-
Back