hello everyone!!

-

73hemiduster

Reaction score
new to the forum, been following it for awhile tho, I'm building a 1973 plymouth duster with a carb'd 5.7 hemi and T5 5speed transmission. -David from south texas

well its in very sad condition right now, this is actually the second time I save this car from destruction... the first time I was 19 years old at a tire shop getting used rear tires put on my 84' mustang 5.0 and the duster was on a trailer going to the scrap yard and the trailer got a flat, I was looking at the car and I was thinking "hey this isn't too bad really, just some dents.. lower quarter panels... I've got a 440 magnum/727 at home.. hmm" so I asked the guy "how much to drop it right here??" he said "$200" so I wrote him a check and called a buddy, this was back in 2003. well I was that kid that had 10 projects and my parents would always complain the back yard looked like a junk yard, I was always buying, selling, trading. but I kept the plymouth under the carport and collected all the parts for the 440/727/8 3/4 swap, built the engine ported heads... anyways long story short I go to my parents one day and the car was gone??? I asked my dad and he said he had enough and I had to many cars and that one of them had to go so he gave the plymouth to a kid for parts. I was PISSED!!! I live in the Rio Grande Valley just a few miles from mexico and its another world down here so it was nearly 10 years later I heard about the car, well what I thought could very well be the car and I find out the guy who has it is working in a comic book store in a near by town, I go to see him (I still have the title and the keys, kept them all those years) and he agrees to give the car back, its been picked apart a bit but was still mostly there setting in a field so I go pick it up AGAIN lol!! and now its undergoing complete restoration/transformation in my shop in edinburg tx

here's the pics from when I picked it up after I found it back again, nearly 10 years later

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 91
  • duster2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 93
Welcome to FABO 73HemiDuster!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Wow you saved that car just before it started to take root - LOL! Look forward to you attaching some progress pictures.

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• WOW Rear 3 QTR View Low.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 94
I replaced a 5.7 hemi that had water in the oil in my shop and kept the core ($65) and picked up these 2 T5's one is a world class from a 5.0 mustang and the other is from a jeep, both for $80 off of craigslist, already pulled the heads off the hemi it popped to valve seats loose and now the heads are in the machine shop, bearings are pretty bad too so I'll have the short block done next with a cam, some forged rods and arp bolts, shopping around for deals... I have the money but I'm a wheeler dealer when it comes to my projects. I want the best "bang for buck" on every piece. I already know most of my cash budget will go into the body and the suspension I want, I'm planning on doing an IRS also... possibly cobra mustang, jaguar, or C4 corvette, still deciding on that.

Attachments

• corehemi.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 103
  • t5.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 88
I also had this pic too, there was 2 valve seats loose, one in each head, a good port job and 6.1 valve springs are on my to do list

Attachments

• hemicomb.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 80
Welcome to the best Mopar site around! Cool project.

some more depressing pictures from right after i got the car back and clean most of the leaves out of it lol!! also a pic of the of the old rear end after i pulled it out, I'm building a frame rotisserie for the body with my dad... pics of that too soon

Attachments

• duster3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 71
  • duster4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 69
  • duster5.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 80
:)

Attachments

• mg.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 65
  • mg2.jpg