Hello from Oil Country

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
Hello all. Great site.

I last week scored a 1968 Barracuda fastback 318/904/8 1/4. It was the first one I have seen around since I moved here 14 years ago. Here are my plans for it:

I really want to put in a big block. Hemi is too expensive. I would like to score a 440, maybe a crate motor, but I really want a torque machine, not so much horsepower. I want to run it on regular gas, so I'll need around 9.0 compression ratio.

I want to use a Tremec manual trans with .84 OD, possibly try a hydraulic clutch. I definitely also need to find a 8 3/4 rear and run 3.23 gears.

I want to put in four-wheel disc brakes, stiffer torsion bars, polygraphite suspension components, and Super Stock leafs.

These items might seem odd, but I want to drive the car. Coming from the engineering world, I hate having to re-invent the wheel, so I value the input of anybody who has "gone before."

I will be posting some pix once I figure out how to do so. I will not be starting major work on the project until I finish building a shop inside my garage, which will likely take me through the summer.

This is a great site. You guys appear to be a great bunch of people.

Barry

Welcome to the party FISHBREATH. Sounds like you are going to have one heck of a ride there. Congrat's on finding your 'cuda!

Jack

I understand the "not wanting to reinvent the wheel" thing... I'm no engineer, just a guy who is re-entering the sport after 20 years and would like to spend the least amount of $$$ to meet my need for speed:D

If you haven't already, check out www.440source.com Build your B or RB into a 500+ CI monster motor and you'll have all the torque you'll need:D

welcome fellow 68 fastback owner! you're in the right spot. the buildup sounds good. i would rethink the ss springs and maybe go with xhd. unless you got 2 left or 2 right ss springs since they lean the car to one side if you go with a left/right. yep, 440source is the place. i just sent a 440 to the machine shop that is getting the 500" stroker kit. i am about to fire up the 438" that was stroked from a 383.

Welcome to FABO FishBreath!! Don't forget to add anti-sway bars to your suspension list... it is what really makes the difference!

Thanks, all, for the welcome. Thanks, also, for the 440 source. It looks like they have already scrounged the boneyards before me and have what I need. Thanks also for the anti-sway bar advice. I want the car to handle like a modern vehicle. I will likely have a million questions to pose in the proper forum categories as I progress. I have already discovered a wealth of information on FAMO.

I still have my first car, a '68 GTX, which I bought in 1973, and which is sorely in need of restoration. I also have a '67 New Yorker that I want to build for roadtrips over the Interstate highways. However, the Barracuda will be the first on my plate.

I would love to blow a sheetmetal airfoil off the trunk lid of one of those "tuner" rice-burners.

Welcome Barry
Hope you enjoy this great site that it is.
There are some of the best tec's and some good folks here.
So jump on in and enjoy.
And congrads on the barracuda find :cheers:

-
Back