Hello from the FL panhandle

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am in the early stages of restoring the 1971 Twister Duster that I ordered from the factory when I was 19. I was in college and so broke that that the car, aside from the Twister appearance package, was a completely basic car. Manual drum brakes, manual steering, and no AC. As some of you may appreciate, the 340 4-speed didn't cost but a few hundred dollars more - but the cost of insurance would have doubled and that kept it from being an option. It had and still has a 3-speed on the floor with a 318 CID engine. In 1990 I had the engine rebuilt, replaced the upholstry and had it painted black. While it looked good - I now see that it was a mistake to depart from the original color. Since the summer of 1971 I dated my wife in that car and taught both of my kids to drive in it. I drove it daily until 2000 but then committed the sin of letting it sit until the gas turned to sludge and many other bad things happened (like a rat's nest under the hood and chewed wires). With a new gas tank, tires, ect, the car is back on it's feet and running well. I'm now buying decals, gaskets, etc to prepare for a paint job that will bring it back to its original high impact red. I found the A Bodies Only Mopar Forum and I r signed up with plans to learn from others and to ask for help as I encounter problems.

I'm off to a great start with the discovery today that no one seems to have front or rear windshield gaskets. Hopefully I'll find some.

Take care,

Ken Laird
114 Aucilla Cove
Valparaiso, FL
[email protected]

Welcome, I know the feeling. I bought my 70 Duster new(gold duster), 318, 3 speed manual, 3.23 open; as insurance wouldn't let me get the 340 4 speed, 4,10 gear, that was $300 cheaper, lol.
We still know how to work on these cars.

View attachment DSCN4275.jpg

View attachment DSCN4257.jpg

View attachment DSCN4277.jpg

Step one was to pull out the old Sears compressor that is now a candidate for a boat anchor. I hope to re-use the mounting brackets and plan to order a new AC system. Little by little, the original paint color is reappearing as the black paint has come off over time. I hate the way the compressor cramps the engine compartment - I'd do without the AC if I lived in a cooler area.

Glad that you have kept the car all these years !!
I worked on a couple of them when they were new.
Replace your A/C compressor with a factory one and enjoy the cool ride.

DSCN0827.jpg

Hey very nice. I have a house in Niceville but I can't seem to get stationed back there.. No matter how hard I try. It has been rented since 03.

-
Back