Hello Guys/Gals

-

Blacksheep00

Reaction score
I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself. I am the proud new owner of a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger and am new to the whole Mopar thing. Well, cars in general. I have owned them, but never something quite like this. I am hoping to do some minor updates to the car and look forward to restoring it back to near original condition (if not a bit better in some places). I thank you all in advance for being patient with me as I am sure I will have lots of questions ;).

Welcome. I just got my first Dart two months ago but have always loved them and all other MOPARS. You'll find as I have the worst part is going to be finding parts and when you do be prepared for the prices! It's well worth it to have a car that is not seen everyday.

Thank you!

Wow you guys work fast! I just posted. Is I said earlier, I have had cars before. Some cool, others I won't admit to actually driving. NONE have made me half as excited as my Dart.

Some quick background on the car (it is more interesting than me anyway).

I have no idea what the original color was but the interior looks to be original and is a darker green color. For the most part the interior is in great shape. The dash is not, but I live in AZ so what can I expect.

The car has a 318, 3 speed. Don't know what the trany is, guessing a 904? It is primer black at the moment. Had a vinyl top. The exhaust looks like it was welded out of chain link fence posts. But it has power steering that works and front disc brakes. A/C is there but doesn't work. I think it may be a wiring issue. The suspension seems solid too.

Took her in yesterday for emissions and PASS! I am excited about that. I will post pics when I get home from work today.

I am a jet engine mechanic but I feel like I am waaaay over my head with what needs to be done as I have not actually worked on a car before.

I will post some specific questions soon.

Thanks again in advance!

Welcome Blacksheep, glad to see another 72 being brought home by an excited car guy and welcome to the Mopar family it's a very special group of people. FABO is an amazing resource and a great place to hang out.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Yes... Phoenix does require emissions on a '72... GRRR! but I passed so I can't complain too much right?

And Yes, I know I said that I would post pics but I was lazy when I got off of work yesterday and just veg'd out.

I have seen quite a few 400hp 318 builds, I was wondering if anyone here has actually done one? They seem pretty straight forward. My goal is a respectable daily driver.

I was also thinking about "fix'n" the stance. The rear doesn't look quite high enough, you guys will see what I mean when I post the pics. I am hoping that someone will see the pics and say "Oh yeah, all you need to do is ...." ;) that's what I am hoping for anyway.... Back to work for now, I will try to post the pics tonight... Maybe

Hmm... need to do some research. Can't figure out how to post pics. Bare with me, they are coming.

UPDATE: I'm retarded... lol

As I promised, here are pics of my Dart. Not sure what direction I am going to go with it but I do know that it will be GREEN! :blob:

I hope this isn't too many.

As you can see, the rear end sits quite low. I think it may be due to worn out leaf springs but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Dart 1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 126
  • Dart 2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Dart 3.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Dart 4.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Dart 5.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 134
  • Dart 6.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Dart 7.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Dart 8.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Dart 9.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 125
Welcome,had a 72 same color,and stance.Yes,these cars usually need springs.Check the parts forums.Or buy new.Or, get yours rearched.

Hey were always glad to have people join us and ask questions,(WELCOME)and man i'm sorry that you got the a body sickness.And pardon me for for saying hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Aaron

After time,springs lose their"arch".Think of it as the soles in your shoe breaking down.You find a local springcompany.They pull your springpacks apart.They clean them,and restore the"arch" in the spring.This restores it to stock height.Freight kills you on springs.

i see, thank you. Does it look like they are sagging, or does that look like the correct hight for the rear? I would think stock hight would have put the wheel opening at about the hight of the tire not the rim but I don't know for sure.

On a side note, I stopped by a local shop that does restos. They suggested that I use some new material/technique for the top. It was explained to me that it is similar to truck bedliner but isnt rough. They said that when it hardens it looks like vinyl and that they have used it as a replacement for vinyl tops. I was told that this would be a better option because of the likelihood of rust appearing under the vinyl over time. I haven't decided yet if I am going to go with that, reapply the vinyl, or just paint it as if the vinyl was never there. Decisions, decisions ;)

Yes,they are sagging. I would be leery of that.If it isn't a metal base,I wouldn't use it.I have sold retail paint/body products for a very long time.Never heard of it.

-
Back