hello i need some answers please

-
J

jerrybagels

first i would like to express my excitment about finding and joining this fine group.i purchased a 66 barracuda that apparently has a valliant front grille,was this common,an error or rare and should i replace it,is there anyway to tell if this is original to the car

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!pEF!YryRK1eBQPs(-vSFg~~60_12.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 284
Jerry,
Welcome to the site! Beautiful car and I'm sure your answer is forthcoming. I'm sorry I don't know your answer.

it might just have the valiant emblem cant tell from your pic here is them both not much difference i have never heard of one coming with a valiant grill lol Welcome though nice ride!!!

Attachments

• Koenig2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 1966ValiantA3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 304
No, this is not original or rare. A previous owner has replaced the Barracuda grille with what he could find. Doesn't look bad, in fact I like the look, but it is a Valiant grille. When you start looking for a nice '66 Barracuda grille you'll appreciate what you have. Personally, I wouldn't bother such a nice looking car. Most folks won't know if you don't tell them.

A 66 Barracuda only came with Barracuda grilles, never the Valiant ones.

Welcome,as stated above if the grill in your car is nice leave it alone you will be hard pressed to find a nice used one and if you do it'll be pricey [they are not reproduced] and rechroming will be expensive [if it can be rechromed]. Nice car!!!

mine is a 1965 Canadian made Barracuda and is
badged as a Valiant , maybe yours is a Canadian
car. Mine also has a different dash then other
65 cudas.

Attachments

• 65 Cuda 008.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 1965 Barracuda 008.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 258
Welcome to FABO, nice Cuda. I'm pretty sure I posted the link to the Craigslist add for this car about a month ago, we all agreed, nice straight car!

Welcome to FABO, and nice car too!! Now, on to your question...

In 1966, Plymouth would NEVER compromise the identity of a top trim model by putting a lower level trim item on a car for sale!! Model recognition was paramount in getting and keeping buyers, and as usual in advertizing, showing your top of the line stuff gets them in, and maybe generates a sale for that model, or hopefully at least a sale on a lower trim model!!

Now, I would agree with the above that this was replaced with a Valiant grille, maybe to replace the original which may have been in poor condition. They're hard to find in any condition, and back then these cars were out everyday in all kinds of weather.

At any rate, if it was my car I would be on the lookout for the best examples you can find and pay the price, you won't be sorry you did. And you need the center metal piece too, as it is cut out differently for the Cuda emblem as opposed to the Valiant "V"!! Those parts were just for sale here a few days ago!!

Welcome again and enjoy that car. As you can see, I'm a little biased to the 66's myself!! Geof

Welcome aboard this great site, Have you put an add in our Parts wanted forum yet ?
I agree, if you can swing it get the 66 Barracuda grill for this great 66.

-
Back