hellwig sway bars

-
The early A-bodies are something we are looking at if we can adapt some tooling we already have in production. This project is a low priority project as there is not a lot of demand in the market. However, it is something I'd like to see happen since I have a soft spot for the A-bodies since I have owned a number of Darts and Valiants including a 67 Dart GT that I wish I still had. I may come back from the dark side (A-body GM) with a 69 Barracuda Coupe I found locally.

Welcome Dave@Hellwig! I just thought I would let you know that I had purchased a set Hellwig helper springs for my for an '87 Ford Ranger (LPS -15?) about 15 years ago. The reason for the purchase was to facilitate my move from Chicago to Denver with two street motorcycles in the bed and towing a 10' trailer with all my tools and worldly possesions.

I can imagine that your company never meant for your product to be used in such an abusive manner, but it truly shined. Handling was improved, sag was eliminated and I never had a problem with your product.

The truck is long gone now (I truly beat it to death, lol!), but in review of your products past performance, I would not hesitate to purchase your sway bar kit/s for my '72 Duster. Also, it's good to know that your products are still made here, quality has not suffered over the years and that you are working with one of our members to provide a product for a vehicle that many manufacturers would like to ignore.

BTW, I am presently doing a resto/mod on a '74 Ramcharger and was wondering if you make a front and/or rear swaybar for this application? Part numbers would be great!

Thanks again for a safe trip devoid of broken rear suspension parts. :cheers:

I have been working with redfastback on redesigning our Mopar A-body sway bar kits. He let me know about this thread and I just wanted to clarify a couple of items.

1) The kit is American made in Visalia, CA. The swaybars are manufactured from heat treated 4140 chrome moly steel.

2) The correct kits for 67-72 A-body applications are 5906 and 6907. Part number 6905 is the old kit and has been obsoleted. We are a couple of weeks out with the new brackets for the front sway bar but they will be ready to ship on 3-1. The rear bars are already in production.

3) We will be making some changes to the 73-76 Front kits in the near future to improve fit and finish.

Is the part number for the front kit for 73-76 5905?

ramcharger - Thanks for the input. Regarding the 74 Ramcharger, the bars are out of production due to declining sales. We haven't made them for over 10 years. The rear bar for the pickup might be adapted with some fab work.

roosduster - The p/n for the 73-76 front bar is 5905. We will be updating the attachment to the control arm in the next month so you may want to wait for the new kit.

v-8 Valiant - As long as the subframe rails stay in the stock location the swaybar should be OK with mini-tubs.

roosduster - The p/n for the 73-76 front bar is 5905. We will be updating the attachment to the control arm in the next month so you may want to wait for the new kit.

That will fits dusters right?

how about the rear? Are there any improvements coming? (or needed?)

That will fits dusters right?

how about the rear? Are there any improvements coming? (or needed?)

The rear frame side to side distance is the same for all 67-76 A-bodies (don't know about earlier ones?).

So the cool adjustable one showed here in this thread will fit your Duster.

nooblike

The 5905 fits all A-bodies including Dusters I will be updating the front kit shortly. I noticed you are in CA - If you want to bring your car over to Visalia, we can use your vehicle for prototyping and you will get a free FSB installed with the upgrades.

P/N 6907 is the redesigned adjustable Rear sway bar which redfastback has posted.

If anyone has tech questions about our bars I can be reached at 559-734-7451 from 8-4:30 PST.

ramcharger - Thanks for the input. Regarding the 74 Ramcharger, the bars are out of production due to declining sales. We haven't made them for over 10 years. The rear bar for the pickup might be adapted with some fab work.

I will wait, just wanted to make sure I had the number correct. Thanks. I wish I was in California, I would let you use my vehicle for prototyping. :-(

I figured as much. :angry7: Not too many people are restoring/modding these anymore as they have virtualy no resale value.

Thank you for your time and I will most likely be using your product on my '72 Duster.

nooblike

The 5905 fits all A-bodies including Dusters I will be updating the front kit shortly. I noticed you are in CA - If you want to bring your car over to Visalia, we can use your vehicle for prototyping and you will get a free FSB installed with the upgrades.

P/N 6907 is the redesigned adjustable Rear sway bar which redfastback has posted.

If anyone has tech questions about our bars I can be reached at 559-734-7451 from 8-4:30 PST.

I wish it was running :( I would of so loved to lend it to you. Errr i need to get it up and running.

n00blike
If you get it running in the next few weeks, call me and we can schedule a time to get it up on the lift. My number here is 559-734-7451.

its 189 miles away that will be quite a tow bill...i need a truck and a trailer...errr

i like the fact that the maker of a product is on line to talk about there product and answer questions i will buy some of these for my 70 swinger /6 which im building to see how the suspension works than putting the better pats on my 340 car for street raceing in these oakland berkely hills again thanks alot for speaking up the photos on this thread look good it worked on me :happy10:

i am glad this thread has helped people and brought out an improved product. these are definitely well worth the money. if summit does not stock the part number, they can order it and it will get it drop shipped to you.

i bought some bars a few years ago and now i going to sell them and get some of these! (when updates are finished)

Just wanted to follow up and get the word out that we have finished the changes on the 73-76 A-body FSB. We have kept the same p/n 5905 as before. There may be some old stock out there but it will work with the new brackets. If you do order one and it doesn't have the new brackets, contact me at 559-734-7451 and I'll get them sent out to you.

Just wanted to follow up and get the word out that we have finished the changes on the 73-76 A-body FSB. We have kept the same p/n 5905 as before. There may be some old stock out there but it will work with the new brackets. If you do order one and it doesn't have the new brackets, contact me at 559-734-7451 and I'll get them sent out to you.

I'm considering your kit for my '74 Duster, by any chance do you have any pictures installed for the 73-76 cars?

This would be for the through the k-member type with no factory swaybar in my case.

I've priced out a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar for my 1971 Dart GT and for $240.00 will have it delivered to my door.
Is the installation something fairly simple to do in my garage? I have basic tools and skills but nothing elaborate in either area.
Ideas and comments, Gentlemen?

This is designed to be a bolt in installation. You will need to drill a couple of holes in the subframe. If you would like to see the instruction sheets, PM me your email and I will send them out to you.

These kits look very nice!! I love the dogbone style links and the adjustments. Any other vendors out there besides Summit? Looks like I need the 6907 kit for the rear of my "69 B'cuda? Is that correct? Hellwig's site still shows 6905? Can someone clarify this for me. I'm thinking Hellwig just has not updated the site? Thanks in advance!

Our catalog pages on the website show 6907 which is correct for the adjustable rear sway bar. THe vehicle lookup is giving the old p/n 6905 which is in the process of being updated.

-
Back