helmets

-

tom340

Reaction score
For the racers, what rules apply for helmets? Im assuming the helmet I use while riding the m/c is probably not up to track rules?? Its a DOT, 1/2 helmet. Do you need full face?? Thanks

It doesn't need to be full face till you get down to 9.99 i think..but it needs to be snell 2000 or newer rating..

Most helmets you buy in cycle shops don't carry the Snell rating. Look for the rating inside under the lining.

My m/c skidlid doesnt have the snell rating inside. I found some info on the Raceway Park website that was helpful, the Lebanon Valley website kinda sucks. It doesnt look good that I'll have a helmet by Friday :( Im hoping maybee since the car has no history at this track I'll get a "bye" run until its established it goes quicker than 14.00.

@ our track 12.99 or faster you need a helmet.Still you dont need one on the street going 70mph on a motorcycle?

For the racers, what rules apply for helmets? Im assuming the helmet I use while riding the m/c is probably not up to track rules?? Its a DOT, 1/2 helmet. Do you need full face?? Thanks
The rule I use is that a helmet is cheap insurance for your head, my wife flipped a pro mod on an 1/8th mile track and still has the time slip where she slid across the finish line on the roof @ 132 MPH and had MY Simpson Voyager helmet on. I had paid close to $400 for the helmet some years ago, the helmet died and she walked away with bumps and bruises everywhere but her on her head. I layed my Harley down doing 30-35 MPH wearing only a $2 dollar doo-rag and road rashed the top of my head real good or bad.....its how much do you want to spend protecting your head?

Im just concerned about specific track rules and "their" requirements..ie: rules and regulations. I notice some glaring exceptions to NHRA rules which completely disregard et's. Example, FAST class: LOW 10 sec cars without 6 pt.rollcage? Isnt the rule 11.99 and quicker? Also, totally street legal Shelby GT Mustangs running 8's without chutes?

So far I have seen (2) e.t. rules for helmet requirement. 12.99, and 14.00 or quicker.
Mr Twister- helmet laws differ for m/c operators from state to state. Riding on the street wouldnt be considered a closed course competition. Thus no need for the competitive protective gear.

Tom, are you heading to LVD? If you are, it is 14 and quicker, require a helmet

yep, thats where Im headed. I had high hopes it would be 12.99 or quicker. Now I need to try and find a helmet to borrow for Saturday or I get to "spectate".
Thanks for the info. :)

I hope to be up there Sat also. I won't be bringing the Demon as I haven't put the exhaust on yet, and I still need to bleed the trailer brakes. I'm not sure if my M/C helmet is any good it's a 2000, and I haven't seen if they updated the requirements.

I found some good helmet info on the Englishtown NJ website. Raceway Park. Thats how I was able to find that if they really check my scooter helmet out at LVD they would deny me to race the car. Minimum requirement is Snell 2000 rating.
I may just bring my DOT 1/2 helmet along and ask.

Do they sell helmets at the valley??..my friend bought one at n.e. dragway last time we were there he broke into the 13's,and they pulled him over on the return road,and told him to get one,its a pretty nice one and only cost $119.00 mine was over $200.00...Tom,call the valley see if they rent them i know they do at e-town..

Thats a good question. I dont ever remember seeing helmets for sale or rentals there, but that would be an option I'd be interested in. May have to call them on it. Raceway Park sell them on their website.
Im holding off on a purchase to make a good buy on a FF helmet to wear both on the bike, and for dragracing. I ride the bike X-country, and all winter long up here in NW CT. Hate the damn things, but mostly for protection from the elements. I do 900 mile days on the scooter, gotta really like it and fit good. I can bear just about anything for 1/4 mile run

I haven't been able to find any info. The mc helmets go by a different rating, but they will let you use it if it has the proper mc#

Ran 2 time trials in Street class and never was asked to wear a helmet. Even after breaking 13.8's. Was hoping to get at least 3 passes for my $$, not until after my dial in time was posted was I asked for a helmet. I thru on my 1/2 DOT helmet and was good to go :) Freakin FUN man-GeorgeR and his oldest son was there too. We were able to arrange to line up Dart Swinger340 vs. Duster 340 on our 2nd pass.

-
Back