help 1963 dart vert top not working

-

hiilawi3

Reaction score
I just bought a 1963 dart vert and I can hear the motor for the top running but it doesn't move the top. I got the repair manual in the mail and it said to use heavy duty brake fluid in reservoir. Now after reading some in this forum, that is not right? It was low on fluid so we topped it off. It still does not work. Is there any way to disable hydraulic cylinders and still use the top manually until we can figure out the issues?

Yikes! Flush out the system unless you want to lose all the seals. Use type A tranny fluid or P/S fluid. If you can't get it to work and need to use the top manually, disconnect the rams where it connects to the top frame. Oh, and throw away that manual and get a factory one.

ok thanks. I believe it is a factory one. I called Chrysler and they said that Bishko was the only place that was permitted to reprint original service manual. So that is where I got it. Is there someone else? Also I found a place in california for parts, have you heard of the company convertible services on the internet? Are they a good, honest place to get parts?

Thank you. For now I have disabled the hydraulic lifts and using top manually. I am going to check out the website that you gave me for the hydraulics and see if I can get the correct parts. But in the mean time I will use the top manually and just enjoy the ride.

Thanks everybody . . .

Took the backseat out this morning . . . screwed out pump plug . . . filled with ATF . . . put top up and down a few times, refilled with ATF, up and down a few more times . . . screwed in filler plug . . . and power top works awesome!!!!!!

I am quite confident that in 46 years the pump was never once filled . . . working now and not leaking!!!!!

-
Back