*****help*** /6 missing problems

-

grassy

Reaction score
Our /6 '75 duster started missing/stalling when you turned hard left or right....since the car has been off the road for @ 4 years, i knew there would be a sorting out period.

I was going to change the floats in the card so I read up on the carb and watch a video (thanks to the member that supplied them) then I hurt my back ...again..I figured that I should really put a carb kit into is ..and the kids were off to school I figured I would do myself a favour and have my mechanic do it.

I go to a family owned garage station that treats me like family and has done me right for years. My mechanic has raced and wrenched on his bikes/quads/formula fords and last year spent a half a year being sent all over the states wrenching on a race car...so when they found sand in the carb it didn't surprise me..they were still not happy how the engine ran and after a bit of digging, found that gas was seeping back to the tank. New pump on.

They are scratching their heads...Mark is researching the problem tonight..It is still bogging turning left only. I suggested ground but they tried that.

I thought of you guys..all the experience is out there in FABO land. I told him that you guys would probaby have the answer. They were not offended by that statement.

Can ANYONE help me..my daughter wants her car back !

Grassy

check fuel filters etc. sounds like a low fuel level in carb. I had a merc that stalled on turns. plugged fuel filter

We actually put two new filters on it..that was how we knew that the pump was going..adjusted the floats several times..

Thanks
ian.

After sitting that long the tank could be rusted and the filters will plug again.....

The car has been on the road..except for winter since last July..we now have a double set of clear filters..no notice of rust but I did have that problem with my MG the first year it was on the road with me..

Doing some research, all I have been able to find is car..we did the rebuild..fuel pump..new one on and working..ground..tested that...and lastly jetting, timing, and vacuum..

Off to the garage now..

ian.

I know this isn't scientific and all, but have you tried letting it idle and jack up on the left side of the car to see what is happening?
Maybe you just need a sway bar :lol: just kidding.

Kidding aside,they did rock the car and the gas pressure dropped...so the last time I talked to them..too farking hot to be outside today..they we going to follow up on this...I will osyt their solution..

Ian.

Update, the mechanics read on the slant six forum that the carbs were garbage and had to be replaced...no fix possible...talk about taking the wind out of the sales and giving them absolution..

The station did check all I could find and did blow out to gas line..I am leaving the two fuel filters on it.

The car seems to perform better..still a bit*h to start and stutters a bit on accelerating fast into a left had corner.

Basically, from what Mark can tell is when the car is accelerating into a left had corner, the acceleration pump is coming on a bit too early and flooding it..if you don't change the throttle position, it will work it self out..maybe wear in the linkages but with only 34k miles on it , I fund that one hard to swallow.

I guess we have to live with this problem until the new lump gets installed.

ian.

-
Back