HELP..! 727 Tranny puking fluid from Dust Cover

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
Any idea what it could be..?

Trans is a 727 for Big Block. Been in use daily driving since 2005.

Just now started Leaking fluid from the front "Dust cover" at a steady Heavy drip once the car has been moving. When the car is still or OFF there is no drip..

Ya think maybe the Torque Converter fried..?..

Taking it to a very reputable Muscle Car Tranny Shop on Monday, but I would like a head's up so I don't sound like an idiot while talking to the man..

Thank you for your time.

Most likely the front seal and/or front pump bushing. If the bushing is really worn then a new seal will be a temp fix at best.

.............That is precisely y ford quit using type f........it eats seals cause its 2 abrasive........short term use in race trannys is ok, but i wouldnt use it 4 a d/d.........kim.................

.............That is precisely y ford quit using type f........it eats seals cause its 2 abrasive........short term use in race trannys is ok, but i wouldnt use it 4 a d/d.........kim.................

Thanx, Kim...

Yup, Im running Type F...:angry7:

Well, we'll find out on Monday....

--

................Make sure u check the converter hub 4 wear, if ok,u shouldnt need a bushing, if u need a bushing, u will need 2 reseal the front pump, u know the old snow ball effect, reseal the drums etc, maybe a rebuild?...............kim........

Well...I took the Dart's trans to a local Transmission Guru here in Huntington Beach, and it's in need of a rebuild...

Apparently it is a 1968 unit (stock, probably from an Imperial or such), and it's never been appart....

The Transmission guy (Joe) showed me some Asbestos clutches and then told me he had not seen these since the 1970's.. ( this is the main reason as to why he guessed that it's never been appart )

The bands & clutches need replacing ( the 3rd gear (Kickdown ?) band was especially toasty) and of course the pump needs to go.

He did point out that I have a "three bolt" planetary and recommended a 4-bolt for severe duty...but said that the 3 was OK for street use..which is where my Dart lives 99.9%..

The TC is OK. all else is OK.

So other than the stuff that wears out under normal conditions, the trans is mostly OK.

So it's getting a rebuild.

More later....

-
Back