HELP!! 73 Duster header install

-

Spaaaz

Reaction score
Help I am in the process of putting headers on a 73 duster and it seems there is no way that they will clear power steering gearbox this was originally a slant six car is there a chance gearbox would be different? engine is now a 70 340 and they are hooker 5901 headers any help before I go insane.I do have the headers up in place but no way they will clear enough to bolt up

The steering boxes are the same except between manual and power.
Double check what you purchased.
It is often the case you have to "Clearance" the header with a BFH.
(Big ******* Hammer)
Denting tubes are a normal thing to do unless you have headers by Doug or tti headers.

Also check your motor mount for being worn out. You may need new ones or the one you have now may need a shim.

My headers were Hedmans and it took two tries on two different days and about 5 hours. I had the car on jack stands as high as I could get it, angled the motor in and back. The headers were laying in the chassis about the same way, I think I got the passenger side on first then the driver side. I remember having my jack under the transmission to level the engine. It was a pain in the A_ _, I wanted to put a big block in the car so badly, I think I would of destroyed the car doing it. Lord knows I scratched the hell out of the headers getting them in.

-
Back