HELP!!!! 8 3/4 question

-

9teen7tSwinger

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Swinger and my dad has a 1972-3 Scamp. I was throwing around the idea of narrowing a rear end from a C-body and my dad decided to narrow one as well. He is shipping them out in a couple weeks to moser for the final cut and respline. I NEED to know what others have cut theirs down to! Please include wheel size and backspacing, also did you relocate springs and/or minitub? I am looking to run a 8 or 10 inch wide wheel... anywhere from 3.5-5.5 backspacing. I also want to move the rear back about an inch after it is cut down. Please don't tell me to search the website, because I have and have not found what I am looking for. Also, if I could put the wheels under the car and measure... I would; but I can't as this has all been pretty short notice and I don't have wheels yet. I am thinking cutting it down to 43-45" flange to flange... any responses will help.

In case it matters:

489 Case
BIG C body drum brakes

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

i narrowed my rear 2 3/4 inches and mini tubbed the car i run a 10 inch rim with a 3 1/2 backspacing and run moser 35 spline axles and a spool

I you're not going to tub it I'd stay with the standard A-body specs. You can run 8" wheels with that. C-bodies, D-bodies, trucks and vans with the 8-3/4" axle and 4.5" BC are good donors for the axle cut/re-spline. Look for one that does not taper along its length. Standard A-body axle length is 28". There's moe details about the 8.75 on Bigblockdart.com.

I figured out what I am going to do. I will measure the entire underside then break that down to the width of the wheel well, frame rails, drums, wheel dimensions. I am sure I will figure it out...I hope.

Well, if any response will help, here is my two cents.
Keep the stock housing dimensions.
Glad someone that has more experience with custom stuff then me said this.
When I read you post yesterday this is exactly what I was thinking.
But didn’t want to crimp your plans.
Non-stock stuff can be a real head ach.
I see Mancini has standard 28-inch axels for 94 buck each.
Don’t know that you could get some and have them re-splined for much less than that.
Stock A body housing with the wider brakes backspacing, big bolt pattern and 15 inch tires work fine on my Duster.

-
Back