Help a novice out

-

Kevo

Reaction score
I have been working on a 68 Dodge Dart for a few months now, and although I'm not taking on the project of removing my 7 1/4, I plan to take it out and replace it with a 8 3/4. My only problem is.... I know very little about either of them and how to switch them out.

I would greatly appreciate if anybody with experience in swapping them out could enlighten me. I would like to learn anything you know.

As before, any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

THANKS FABO!

My first recommendation would be to purchase a reprint of an original '68 Dodge service manual. That will help you immensely with developing an understanding of both rears.
Someone else may chime in here and maybe offer step by step instructions. I suggest you do a search of the site in the meantime.

While a rear end swap isn't all that hard it shouldn't be the first thing you undertake when learning how to work on cars. And, expect to spend quite a bit to get there. You'll need the rear axle with park brake cables that fit your car (you can use the ones on the 7-1/4 if not). Then, you'll also need shock plates and U-bolts for the larger axle tubes. Depending on the condition of your rear springs and the engine, you may want new heavier springs....

-
Back