Help Aligning Doors

-

swisswill

Reaction score
Trying to get my doors aligned so I can put new quarters on and I'm having trouble getting the rear of the door raised. The bottom rear corner of the drivers door almost hits the rocker. The manual says the vertical adjustment can be made at either the pillar or door half hinge. I'm not sure what the door half hinge is and the figure associated with those instructions doesn't identify it. Any help on getting the door vertically aligned is appreciated.

The door hinge half is the part of the hinge that is bolted to the front of the door. It is for adjusting the door in and out to so the door is flush with the fender and 1/4 panel top to bottom.
The pillar half is the part that bolts to the A pillar. Place a hyd. jack with padding under the back part of the door and slowing loosen the upper hinge and let the door move about 1/2 way towards where you want it.
Tighten the bolts and then do the same to the lower hinge to get it perfect.
Doing it that way keeps the hinges from being in a bind.

If your hinges are bad, this may not take care of all the problem.

the door half hinge is the half of the hing bolted to the door itself, loosen to bolts on the door , I use a jack and lift the rear of the door and tighten the bolts back down

Loosen the bottom a little more than the top. I have always hated aligning door gaps but a paint stick is a pretty good gauge for doing it. Just think..."Bottom rear up = bottom front down. Use your hand as a diagram, hold your hand flat and tilt the back of your hand up and you will see what I am talking about. And just use your floor jack with an old towel on it for padding and you will be good to go.

-
Back