Help! Alternator/Voltage Regulator >:[

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Alright, here's my current battle. I just recently got a 100 amp alternator because I have more electrically demanding things in my car. The alternator is putting out roughly 13.8 volts...the battery however is putting out 12.3 with lights/radio on. I just replaced the battery with no success in fixing my problem...which brings me to my next thing...could it be the voltage regulator? Are regulators different when going from a 65 amp to a 100 amp alternator?

Thanks!
Craig

anyone? could I also test to see if it's the regulator by connecting a wire from the alternator to the positive terminal of the battery to see if the voltage increases?

If the battery measures 12.3V with the car off, that is good. It should read close to the alternator voltage when running. If not then the problem is in the alternator or battery cable, or connections. It is possible to use the meter to find the problem. If you measure voltage drop more than a few tenths of a volt when loaded, there is a problem.

it was 12.3 with the car running with lights, radio, electric fan on, sometimes it even dropped to 12.14 (especially with the electric fan running). If I shut everything off though (with car running) then the battery voltage goes up to around 12.7. If the alternator is putting out 13.8 volts directly from the post then I would assume this is a connection problem?

Just measure terminal to terminal and figure out the bad cable or connection.
Battery terminal to starter terminal. And alternator terminal to bulk head ... and bulkhead to starter, with fusible link and other connections to battery.

if it was a blown regulator you would see LOTS of voltage on your gauge with the car running. ask me how i know haha.

Does it make any difference if you bring the RPM up at idle?Is this stock wiring?

For me the fist question is do you have the factory amp. gauge and is it hooked up? Also, where does the output wire of the alt. go to? The factory wiring was never designed for 100 A. alt. you should run a larger gauge output wire.

Fully charged battery 12.65- 12.7 volts .. Charging voltage 13.8-14.2 across battery .... You need to monitor amps and volts at alternator and at battery ... on B+ cable at idle and 2000 rpm with accessories ON ( including fans )....
1. High resistance in cable between alt and battery Pos cable .
2. Battery capacity to small
3. Need to see what amp output is .

Alright, here's my current battle. I just recently got a 100 amp alternator because I have more electrically demanding things in my car. The alternator is putting out roughly 13.8 volts...the battery however is putting out 12.3 with lights/radio on. I just replaced the battery with no success in fixing my problem...which brings me to my next thing...could it be the voltage regulator? Are regulators different when going from a 65 amp to a 100 amp alternator?

Thanks!
Craig

What have you found out on this?????

-
Back