HELP ASAP! Electrical Problems

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
I was on my way home today and i noticed my temp gauge and fuel gauge were both pegged all the way to the right. It was dark and the lights dimmed every time the blinker turned on. What is causing this?!?!?! I don't want to drive it until i get it figured out to avoid taking any risks. Thanks guys, Eric

The contacts in your IVR are stuck closed. Will cause fire !

My 91 Dakota dun this a few weeks back and as GoodysGotaCuda said a ground problem.
But mine was easy it was the small wire that is on the neg battery post
that goes to the fender.

A 91 Dakota doesn't have a instrument voltage regulator. The onboard cumputer handles all that stuff.

Yes.
What car is this in?
Everyone would assume you are talking about an A body.
But I don't see that in your post.
If so, the pegged fuel sendiing unit is typical of a stuck "voltage limiter" on the back of your cluster.
The dimming lights are a puzzle.
Could it be that you were stopped to make a turn and the engine speed was just slow?
This is typical of old Mopars too in that the alternator isn't turning fast enough to put out.
We all have been freaked out by a problem and started noticing something that is there all the time.
We then think it is a new or related "problem".

yeah im pretty sure its got to be the IVR. The dimming is nothing new, but it did seem more intense than normal. I do have a spare guage cluster so i will swap that out tomorrow. How safe is it to drive? right now it is my daily driver but i took out my motorcycle today to make sure not to screw anything else up.

A 91 Dakota doesn't have a instrument voltage regulator. The onboard cumputer handles all that stuff.

I do have Gages.
instrument voltage Gadge. is what was pegged out on my 91..
and all other gages when I lost the ground going to my fender.

Sorry

If your voltage limiter is stuck you run the risk of burning up your fuel gage.
Crawl underneath and unplug your sending unit if you have to drive the car.
Unplug your temp sending unit as well.
That will prevent the circuits from being completed.

The limiter just plugs in to the back of the cluster on most later abodies.
I had to get the parts person at Advance to use a book and match it up by the picture last time I bought one. I think they used them into the eighties.

yeah im pretty sure its got to be the IVR. The dimming is nothing new, but it did seem more intense than normal. I do have a spare guage cluster so i will swap that out tomorrow. How safe is it to drive? right now it is my daily driver but i took out my motorcycle today to make sure not to screw anything else up.
Sure throw a used one in there and experience a different fault condition. No such thing as a good used one. ORiellys auto parts can sell you a new one for 18 bucks (only source today) made by Borg using same 50 year old technology.

i just need something to drive for a while, i recently purchased a rocky mtn dash so it will go in sometime when i buy the gauges. until then, i need something so i don't have to drive my uninsured pontiac P.O.S.

ok, what i did was disconnect the round connector in the back of the dash with the 9 connectors on it. now for another question. this will take all power from the two gauges and the dash lights correct? i should have no problems driving it like this? the center prong in the connector... is it just a ground? thanks for all your help guys

I think you have taken power off of everything in your cluster.
No backlights, No gages, No oil light, nada.
The ampmeter has a big power wire to it, but it goes on to the fuse box as I recall.

I'm betting your avtar caused the guage cluster regulater to short out.:love10::tongue1::love10::thumbup: :sign12: :sign12: :sign12:

I think you have taken power off of everything in your cluster.
No backlights, No gages, No oil light, nada.
The ampmeter has a big power wire to it, but it goes on to the fuse box as I recall.

yeah i think the ampmeter is separate, as it did not peg like the other ones. I think what ill have left is the ampmeter and speedo. as long as the light and wiper switches and those work i should be fine for a while. I have an oil pressure gauge anyway

It sounds like you`ve got something in the 5 volt circuit (voltage limiter output) that`s straight to ground. Do you have the rallye dash? If you do the voltage limiter is located in the fuel gauge and it`s a PITA to get to. If you have the plug-in type it`s an inexpensive part and easy to replace. It`s a good chance yours is bad with the symptoms you`re experiencing. You can also upgrade it by buying a 5 volt VR (microchip)and a heatsink at Radio Shack for about 5 dollars.

if the gauges already got fried then you have to have them recalibrated and fixed. there was an article years ago in mopar action? that discussed how to solid state you dash cluster circuitboard.

-
Back