HELP Bad Advise

-

DSTR 340

Reaction score
Ok so hear is the deal my buddy owns a garage and told me that he would order parts for me to save me a little cash since I am on a tight budget. I asked him to get me a new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool. He got the parts for me from centerforce and clutch master. Due to some unforeseen financial issues the parts sat on my shelf for 2 years.

Last week I went to put the flywheel on my 340 and the bell housing would not fit over the flywheel. He told me that it was because the new flywheels are more heavy duty and I just need to grind a little off the bell housing to make it fit. I did so since he know more than I do or so I thought

Then when I went to put the throw out bearing on the shaft I realized it was about 1/4 inch to big. I contacted Clutch master and they said they will send me the right bearing free of charge

NOW THE PROBLEM. I started looking on this forum and realized that I should have gotten a 130 tooth flywheel but HE ordered a 143 tooth flywheel. My flywheel is Brand F***ing New but is too old to send back and exchange for a 130 tooth one. I have my original flywheel still but don't know what to do. Can I use the bigger flywheel since I made it fit or am I going to have starter problem. PLEASE HELP.

Ok so hear is the deal my buddy owns a garage and told me that he would order parts for me to save me a little cash since I am on a tight budget. I asked him to get me a new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool. He got the parts for me from centerforce and clutch master. Due to some unforeseen financial issues the parts sat on my shelf for 2 years.

Last week I went to put the flywheel on my 340 and the bell housing would not fit over the flywheel. He told me that it was because the new flywheels are more heavy duty and I just need to grind a little off the bell housing to make it fit. I did so since he know more than I do or so I thought

Then when I went to put the throw out bearing on the shaft I realized it was about 1/4 inch to big. I contacted Clutch master and they said they will send me the right bearing free of charge

NOW THE PROBLEM. I started looking on this forum and realized that I should have gotten a 130 tooth flywheel but HE ordered a 143 tooth flywheel. My flywheel is Brand F***ing New but is too old to send back and exchange for a 130 tooth one. I have my original flywheel still but don't know what to do. Can I use the bigger flywheel since I made it fit or am I going to have starter problem. PLEASE HELP.

Subscribed. I would be afraid that grinding on the bell would just make a weak spot where it would crack.

You need the 130 tooth flywheel to work with that bellhousing.

X2 what he said, read this link, it may help:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-170748.html

"Bingo!! you need the 130 tooth flywheel! The 143 is a truck flywheel and if you try to use it the starter won't fit. 143 tooth is for a 11 inch clutch, you should be using a 10 1/2 ", 130 tooth setup with that bell."

Would the clutch and pressure plate be bigger on the 143 tooth also?

I just triple checked and the clutch disc measures 10.5 so that should at least be right. I hear what you’re saying about the bell housing and that's what I said to him. However, I didn't trust my gut and already ground down the bell housing so what's done is done. The crappy part is that it seems to me that u guys are telling me I have a new flywheel that is only as good as a paper weight :banghead:

I just triple checked and the clutch disc measures 10.5 so that should at least be right. I hear what you’re saying about the bell housing and that's what I said to him. However, I didn't trust my gut and already ground down the bell housing so what's done is done. The crappy part is that it seems to me that u guys are telling me I have a new flywheel that is only as good as a paper weight :banghead:

I would take the bell housing to a proffessional and have him fix it before it does break.

I would take the bell housing to a proffessional and have him fix it before it does break.

Yes, I believe I could get my old flywheel resurfaced. I wasn't sure of how much that would cost and I don’t know of any good machine shops in the North Jersey area. If anyone knows of any please don’t hesitate to chime in. As far as getting the bell housing done, I have no idea where to take it and again what it would cost. I have very limited funds because I had to take a large pay cut transferring jobs to avoid being laid off. I am lucky I still have my car lol. That's also why this project got put on hold for 2 years.

I don’t want to sound like I am blowing off the suggestions you guys are giving me. Please don’t take it that way. I am just trying to let you know what my situation is. I also just wanted to make sure I knew that there was no way to make it work before I decided to sell the flywheel to try and make some of my money back.

Yes, I believe I could get my old flywheel resurfaced. I wasn't sure of how much that would cost and I don’t know of any good machine shops in the North Jersey area. If anyone knows of any please don’t hesitate to chime in. As far as getting the bell housing done, I have no idea where to take it and again what it would cost. I have very limited funds because I had to take a large pay cut transferring jobs to avoid being laid off. I am lucky I still have my car lol. That's also why this project got put on hold for 2 years.

I don’t want to sound like I am blowing off the suggestions you guys are giving me. Please don’t take it that way. I am just trying to let you know what my situation is. I also just wanted to make sure I knew that there was no way to make it work before I decided to sell the flywheel to try and make some of my money back.

It would cost less than $50.00 to have the bell housing fixed here. It would be far more expensive to try to put a broken bell housing back together if even possible. I just called the O'Reilly's here and to have a flywheel resurfaced is $35.00. They have a good machine shop at one of their other locations so it would be sent 30 miles and brought back at that price since they do daily stock transfers. Again the quotes prices are local Oklahoma prices.

It would cost less than $50.00 to have the bell housing fixed here. It would be far more expensive to try to put a broken bell housing back together if even possible. I just called the O'Reilly's here and to have a flywheel resurfaced is $35.00. They have a good machine shop at one of their other locations so it would be sent 30 miles and brought back at that price since they do daily stock transfers. Again the quotes prices are local Oklahoma prices.

Thanks for running down all that information for me. I will let you know how I make out after I take it to a place in Jersey.

Thanks for running down all that information for me. I will let you know how I make out after I take it to a place in Jersey.

Always glad to help another member. Hope everything everything works out well for you. The 143 tooth flywheels on eBay are pretty pricey so you should be in good shape there.

Also, depending on what the "wrong" flywheel is (you don't want something like a 360 wheel) and IF you have a lathe that will swing that flywheel, you MIGHT be able to turn it down to accept the smaller starter gear.

Just depends on "the money" and who your friends are.

-
Back