Help! Broke down Dakota

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Like the title says...
My son is about 100 miles away in another city. He just called and said that his Dakota, 1998 V-6, has quit running, in the middle of the road of course.
The truck will restart, but only idle at about 500 rpm and then slowly dies. After starting if he gives it any gas it immediately quits.
Please shoot me a suggestion of where to start with this.
Thanks,
C

My guess would be fuel pump. Wish i was close enough to help.

Thanks Toolman,
I have suggested that they (he is at a friends house now) start it and shoot a little gas or starter fluid down the tb to see if it will stay running.
C

Thanks Toolman,
I have suggested that they (he is at a friends house now) start it and shoot a little gas or starter fluid down the tb to see if it will stay running.
C

Do you know if that worked or not yet?

If the pump is in the tank, have him rap on the bottom of the tank a few times with a hammer/rubber mallet would be better, not too hard, and see if it starts and runs right.

sounds like fuel is gone, injectors not opening or plugged, filter plugged, plug is dead, regualtor stuck open, out of gas, fuel line punctured and sucking air thru the pump

I have not heard the results yet, but he is getting it towed here tonight. Thank goodness for AAA towing...
C

Test results back... it totally runs as long as they continue shooting gas down the tb. Reckon we'll be r&r fuel pump tomorrow.
C

Test results back... it totally runs as long as they continue shooting gas down the tb. Reckon we'll be r&r fuel pump tomorrow.
C

think they are relay controlled, also think the horn is the same style, switch and test the horn with the pump relay, if it works then wiring or pump... no horn you have a bad relay

Its one of 4 things the pump or a relay . When you get it there clean the relay box really good and the relays . then try to start it . If that didnt fix it then move on to the pump it there is no hum form the tank its the pump . If theres a hum then next would be the filter . . I dont know how much you know if you need more help post up .

Thanks folks. I swapped the relay as was suggested - not it. Set the bed back a couple feet and swapped out the fuel pump. 4 hours, and that included about an hour or more to locate and pick up the replacement pump.
C

Thanks folks. I swapped the relay as was suggested - not it. Set the bed back a couple feet and swapped out the fuel pump. 4 hours, and that included about an hour or more to locate and pick up the replacement pump.
C

Does it run now? LOL (Hope so)

Does it run now?

Yes it does! We took it out for lunch for a test drive and then the son drove it 150 miles back to school.
C

-
Back