HELP! Can't start my '67 Dart

-

cjdive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and admittedly I am not extremely knowledgable when it comes to the inner workings of a car. BUT- I love classic cars nonetheless :)

I have a '67 Dodge Dart GT conv, 360/w Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl. The car has been in storage for the last 3 years (started and driven around the block a few times during that time) and I am having difficulty starting it. I want to drive it to its new home about 3 hours away.

When I first tried to start it, it ran for 2-3 seconds and then died (THE SOUND OF THE EXHAUST MADE MY HEART FLUTTER!). I tried again and it did not start. Then I held the gas to the floor to try starting it and it flooded. I waited 30 minutes and tried again to no avail. I eventually had the air filter off and opened the choke with a pencil and it just would not start. I even removed and cleaned all the spark plugs. When looking at the carb, the jets were just dumping a ton of gas all over the place...even when I did not depress the gas. Is there something wrong with my fuel system?

I am going over there again this weekend to try again to bring it out of storage and would like ANY tips or ideas on how to get it started. Not sure why the jets are shooting so much gas.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

GREAT FORUM!

If you have fuel check for spark now.No matter what if your car dies check that the carb has fuel,if so move on to removeing the coil wire try to start if you have spark could be week,if no spark then time to look further along.

Did you try bypassing the ballast? It could be bad.

Agree with above.

If you have fuel check for spark now.No matter what if your car dies check that the carb has fuel,if so move on to removeing the coil wire try to start if you have spark could be week,if no spark then time to look further along.

His fuel is spilling out of the carb.
When looking at the carb, the jets were just dumping a ton of gas all over the place...even when I did not depress the gas. Is there something wrong with my fuel system?

this is a stuck float since the car has run before. and checking the ignition system would be next in line after the overflowing fuel issue is solved.

THANKS rumblefish360! I will be trying tomorrow afternoon! Hopefully some of the gas that overflowed may have dissolved some of the gunk. With the float, if it is stuck...do I just tap on the float side of the carb to get it loose? **pray**

If tapping it with a nice rubber mallet doesn't work, you'll have to pull it apart. Seperate the halfs on the car, just where some goggles because gas in the eye really flippin burns. Have a few rags handy for the spillage.

And then what the other guys said.

how does the gas smell? If its 3 years old the car might not run on it as it may be varnished. if it smells like shellac drain the tank. I have done this by unhooking the fuel line to the fuel pump and pressuring the tank about ten pounds with an air hose witha a rag wrapped around it in the filler neck. then add 5 gallons of fresh gas. May takke a while for the fresh stuff to push the old stuff out of the float bowls.

I will le you know about the smell daredevil...I did not notice anything odd when it was flooding. Still smelled like gas...not really a shellac. But I will smell it again!!

get a rebuild kit and pull both bowls off sounds like floats are stuck take check valves out on top of bowls and put new ones in turn them upside down and screw valve in till floats are horizontal ,blow all that stuff out you can, and replace bowls its worked for me but there are a lot more folks out here with more knowledge but if your gas is coming over the top it sounds like a stuck float or check valve rumblefish has the best idea and gives great advice good luck

-
Back