Help choose engine for my 68 Barracuda

-
for sure.
360 would top the list if it's just dollar per hp.

I gotta tell ya, I just don't care any more. Listening to people enter my old garage looking to go faster. Hearing what they have to say. I just tell'em it's really cubic dollars, not cubic inches. What do you want to do and how to go about it? Then pay me when I done.

After awhile, when your trying to go fast, it's all about how much you want to spend to get there. Going faster costs money. When you get going fast, and I mean really getting it, it doesn't matter what size the engine is or make, it's gonna run you some serious cash.

This my advice for street and street strip cars (only.)

Make a plan and STICK TO IT!
Build the biggest engine you can without using odd ball parts. Odd ball parts cost more.
Give it plenty of head and cam that will work with the C.I.D. Your building.
Error small rather than large.
Tune
Tune
Tune EVERTHING!

There's plenty of guys that have been down this road. No harm or foul in a copycat build.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Not to mention it saves you time and loads of money.

Then again, if you wanna beat your own path.... Knock yourself out. Be prepared to spend!
I love to tinker myself.

Had a 360 with x heads bored 30 over purple cam, in a 73 cuda. Had a formula s 69 340 same thing x heads 30 over purple cam same, set up as the cuda.I found the rev's
were quicker on the 340 to to 360. I had both these cars at the same time. So it was easy to tell the difference. So before you all go there gearing ect. I said same set up. I have always found the 340 to get the rev's up quicker. PLUS the famous 1970 340

Hey I know that car well, I would put a 340 in it that "looks" stock. That car is too original to change too much. Sure it would cost less to build the 360........but?

Had a 360 with x heads bored 30 over purple cam, in a 73 cuda. Had a formula s 69 340 same thing x heads 30 over purple cam same, set up as the cuda.I found the rev's
were quicker on the 340 to to 360. I had both these cars at the same time. So it was easy to tell the difference. So before you all go there gearing ect. I said same set up. I have always found the 340 to get the rev's up quicker. PLUS the famous 1970 340

and the 1973 was heavier

Thanks for all the input.
I'm no stranger to big blocks and Hemi's (turbo's too)
The great thing is no matter which of the three small blocks I use it will look stock.
This is important to me because the car is so damn nice!
I have decided to use the 360. I will put the 318 in storage. I will sell the 340.
I will keep you posted.

with only 3.23 gear build the 360 = more torque. built a 355 20 years ago, 318 +.060" with a 360 crank and inexpensive replacement 318 pistons, had a near zero deck, did not need a balance, ran great

-
Back