Help! Column dropped - now only starts in neutral!

-

GY3 71 Demon

Reaction score
71 Dodge Demon

Need a little help here - I dropped the column to do some work on the dash (put in a voltmeter ) and everything went well. However, when I went to start the car, it now only starts in neutral.

I've searched the forum and believe I must have changed something (shift linkage position?) and messed up the position for the neutral safety.

So my question - What, and how, do I readjust to get it to start in park again?

(I've searched on here for quite a while and read some other posts but, I couldn't find how to actually readjust what I need to readjust. Also, I've also searched the PDF service manuals and neutral safety switch doesn't even come up on a search.)

So, PLEASE if someone could tell me what to do I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar problem when I dropped the column in my 71 Swinger. I loosened the bolts and rotated the column slightly to correct my problem. If I remember correctly I rotated it toward the right side of the car. Maybe the same situation with yours.

The neutral safety switch is at the bottom of the column inside the interior compartment. You might try to adjust down there. Or do what khaley71 recommends.

The neutral safety switch is at the bottom of the column inside the interior compartment. You might try to adjust down there. Or do what khaley71 recommends.

Wrong The switch is screwed into the left side of the transmission. It has 3 wires, 1 for NSS operation and 2 for reverse lamps.
There are pictures of the adjust block on the first linkage rod away for the trans mounted lever. Only the one bolt in that block to loosen and retighten again. Hard part is jacking the car up and supporting properly so you can get at it.
If you don't have proper jack stands or other available,
Please do shift the column around inside the car seeking a sweet spot. That may not work but its better than getting squished to death under the car.

Sorry, brain fart. That's the backup light switch at bottom of column.

Put the trans in neutral and get a helper to sit inside the car. Set the shifter in "N" and then adjust the linkage. Then try putting it in all the gears to make sure that it is not too far one way or the other.

Thanks for the information - I'll give it a try later today.

I also found out why I couldn't find information in the service manual - it is not referred to as a neutral safety switch. It's called a neutral starting switch. That's why my searches kept coming back with nothing. :violent1:

RedFish's explanation about the "adjust block on the first linkage" is even more clear when I look at the pictures in the manual.

Thanks again for the expert advice!

Well, just finished and it worked perfectly. Drove the car up my race ramps and adjusted the slide adjuster following the instructions in the manual - easy peasey.

Car started right up in Park just as it should.

I thought there was something wrong with the electrical system since it happened right after I dropped the column.

Wow, I sure am relieved.

Thanks again folks for the help...

:cheers:

-
Back