help - control arm/ball joint threads OK?

-

Idaho

Reaction score
The ball joint was missing on this car when I got it. It had crash damage on that side, frame bent. The rest of the parts are there, ball joint missing. Wondering if the ball joint could be popped out in crash, which I presume would damage threads.

Control arm looks fine, just wondering if those theads are OK. They are shallow, but maybe that's normal? I don't have a socket to take apart and look at the other side.

A member wants to trade for these so I want to be sure it's OK. Can anyone tell by the pic?

Attachments

• control arm.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 216
A replacement, new, ball joint will be self threading into the control arm.
If the ball joint doesn't tighten down properly, the acceptable repair, would be to tack weld the ball joint to the control arm, in a couple of locations.
After the weld, the ball joint won't be going anywhere.

Thanks. Seems to me there would be more evidence if it were popped out but I want to be sure. I think I'll get a balljoint socket to look at the other side.

Want to read a funny thread about JB Welding ball joints and the op was serious.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=149425&highlight=JB+weld

IMG_2219.jpg

I have never heard of a ball joint being self threading. The control arms were threaded from the factory just like the ball joints.

oklacarcollector
"self threading" means that a new ball joint will form, and make, it's own threads into the control arm.
The threads in a upper control arm are not made by a conventional "tap"
The ball joint is designed to do that job, by cutting threads into the metal of the UCA.
A new control arm is "plain". There are no threads in it until a ball joint is screwed into it.
You would have to see a new control arm, that never has been used, to know what i am talking about.

Attachments

• NOS UCA.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 197
oklacarcollector
"self threading" means that a new ball joint will form, and make, it's own threads into the control arm.
The threads in a upper control arm are not made by a conventional "tap"
The ball joint is designed to do that job, by cutting threads into the metal of the UCA.
A new control arm is "plain". There are no threads in it until a ball joint is screwed into it.
You would have to see a new control arm, that never has been used, to know what i am talking about.

I stand corrected. Everyone I ever saw was theaded but the proof is in your picture.

Yes, the threads look normal.

If the car has been hit on that side, you may want to determine if the control has been bent.

When I swaped the front suspension from a 71 to a 74 I found out there are different A-arms. I may be mistaken but per 72 are pressed in and the later (73) is screw in. Hemi71 has a pic of what looks like a 72 and older. That is why when you upgrade to disk brakes you want the newer a-arms (73+) that is screwed, that Idaho has pictured.

If all else fails, and the thing seems a little loose, I would not be adverse to tack welding it in. Screw it in, insert the ball, stud upwards, into a full can of water, and put a couple of good quick mig beads on the underside. Don't overheat, would probably be best to allow it to cool between welds.

When I swaped the front suspension from a 71 to a 74 I found out there are different A-arms. I may be mistaken but per 72 are pressed in and the later (73) is screw in. Hemi71 has a pic of what looks like a 72 and older. That is why when you upgrade to disk brakes you want the newer a-arms (73+) that is screwed, that Idaho has pictured.
In Mopar world, they all screw in. Press-in ball joints are Chev-trash-tastic.

Not sure about Ford.

X2
There is no such thing as a "press in" ball joint in a upper control arm.
They all screw in.
If you pressed out a ball joint, in a Mopar UCA, you commited a major boo boo, in doing that.
I don't know where this BS, miss information, is coming from about servicing ball joints, in this day and age.

Thanks for clearifying guys. It has been awhile since I swaped out my frontend.

Thanks guys.

I managed to get the other one off with my biggest channel lock. It looks identical.
I looked carefully for any sign of damage, looks fine. I think someone robbed the ball joint. The car had low mileage.

That tin foil UCA is hilarious. :mrgreen:

-
Back