Help CUDACHICK

-
Give a person a fish, feed them for a day.

Teach them how to fish, feed them for life.
I started in this hobby at 17 years old. And over the last 20 years I've seen lots of young guns stay in this hobby and lots leave the hobby. I've interacted with a lot of hobbiest young and old because I'm involved with a car club, a huge Mopar show, and go to lots of events/shows/cruises. Just giving them alone stuff doesn't keep them going.

They also need sound advice and some hands on help when they get really stuck in a corner. And most of all, they need real life activities to enjoy thier car.

They need to be self driven. The ones that only do things related to their car with thier parents drop out more than the ones that do at least some things on thier own (Baseball-Dad syndrome)

Give a person a fish, feed them for a day.

Teach them how to fish, feed them for life.
I started in this hobby at 17 years old. And over the last 20 years I've seen lots of young guns stay in this hobby and lots leave the hobby. I've interacted with a lot of hobbiest young and old because I'm involved with a car club, a huge Mopar show, and go to lots of events/shows/cruises. Just giving them stuff doesn't keep them going.

They need sound advice and some hands on help when they get really stuck in a corner. And most of all, they need real life activities to enjoy thier car.

They need to be self driven. The ones that only do things related to their car with thier parents drop out more than the ones that do at least some things on thier own (Baseball-Dad syndrome)
i am verrry interested in my car, and love this hobby. i do stuff on my own to my car as well..
and a prize like this would just be great!
i agree that some people may lose interest in the hobby, but prizes like this could re-spark someones interest and keep them in the hobby. in my opinion at least..coming from a young gun. 8)

I say which ever one that wins needs to be one of them that actualy uses sentence structure and punctuation.

A few of the entries are like never ending text messages.
To all the young guns, please try useing what is taught in school.

Useing what is taught in school or
Using what is taught in school ????

i am verrry interested in my car, and love this hobby. i do stuff on my own to my car as well..
and a prize like this would just be great!
i agree that some people may lose interest in the hobby, but prizes like this could re-spark someones interest and keep them in the hobby. in my opinion at least..coming from a young gun. 8)

This is from your profile....

okay so i bought my dart a couple months ago for $1500. it had a fresh rebuilt 318 which was very attractive . and thought it'd be just a front end rebuild and fix a little trunk rust and i'd have a good driver. but then on the way home, the tranny crapped out. so now i've bought a TCI 727. since i'm replacing the tranny, i decided to also swap out my small 7.25 rear end. so i bought my 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip gears. so...now after spending about 2 grand between the tranny and rear end, i'm waiting til i have money for the leaf springs and other various stuff. also, while i was doing all this work under the car, i realized that the rear shocks were rubbing on the gas tank. so i did some research, and found out the idiot who owned the car before me put in the wrong gas tank. which means i'll be spending another 200 bucks on an OEM replacement tank. once i finish the tranny and rear end, i've still got to do my front end rebuild!

i want to be driving my dart sooo bad! cant wait til i am done. i've never swapped a rear end, or tranny before, and all of this stuff i'm doing is new to me!

i'm currently goin to college at Sac State, so as money and time allow, i'll be building up my dart. lol.

Right now you have $3500 into a car that is worth $2500 if it was running driving. Remember to walk before your run....

The 7.25 rear end wasn't broke. So run it and fix the other stuff that is broken worn out. Use patience and time to your advantage and at least figure out what drum to drum A-body sure grips go for and wait on a good deal under average selling price. Sounds like you paid $800 plus for the rear end. If so, an average price. But that could have went to your front end and/or gas tank to get your car in running order.

Objective is to get the car running. Disregard improvements unless they are part of fixing something (727 trans) or you walk into a great deal.

See if you can find a good used 67 gas tank somewhat locally. Maybe you can get one that you can look at in person and get for $40-50, maybe less. Clean it yourself.

Do you know the Mopar scene in your area? Meaning all the guys that sell used Mopar parts, the guys in the club, the shops that specialize in Mopar stuff. It takes a while, but it is really really helpful. You will get a feel of who to deal with, under what terms, and who to be careful with. I would really suggest going to a Capitol Cities Mopar club meeting: http://www.capitalcitymopars.com/Clubinfo.htm You don't need to go to every one of their events, or go to any. But asking questions before, during, and after a meeting can be really helpful.

well wazoo64 maybe what i was trieng to saz here was put an efurt n2 what u do lol bcuz it seems that ne more thay dot kar idk but it wood b a lil ezyr to reed lol i,m just tring 2 give a lil constutfe kritzen lol no i not the bestest speeler ether lol idk i dont have speel chek on this site ne way if peepl lyk u wheil keep help mby i wil lurn to yous right gramr LOL i want 2 thnk u fer you efert in siting me strate idk lol frum wat i kan tel idk=? an lol=. an peeple should just shoo cumpleet direegsrd to wat is taut n skuul lol the path of leest resistince shuld b taken efery time lol win things r rittin n this manner it is pritty hard 2 follo lol i new i wuz gunna git blazed greef an crap frum what i posted lol but did i or did i not get a point akros idk only tyme will tel lol like i stated n i previos post i sorry 2 ne i offendd lol most uf these yung guns have moor skooling than me lol do ipods have puntuatin keys ur not idk i just think theyz shuld tri a wee bit hrdr lol i knoe dont thro stones win u lif n a glass house or how bout win pointing out falicys 1 shuld looc n da mirrur 1 lol mbe i will donate a hooked on fonix as a prize gift lol i mite git 1 4 myself also lol but peece b with u n yur jurnys lol idk kant we b bff idk

well wazoo64 maybe what i was trieng to saz here was put an efurt n2 what u do lol bcuz it seems that ne more thay dot kar idk but it wood b a lil ezyr to reed lol i,m just tring 2 give a lil constutfe kritzen lol no i not the bestest speeler ether lol idk i dont have speel chek on this site ne way if peepl lyk u wheil keep help mby i wil lurn to yous right gramr LOL i want 2 thnk u fer you efert in siting me strate idk lol frum wat i kan tel idk=? an lol=. an peeple should just shoo cumpleet direegsrd to wat is taut n skuul lol the path of leest resistince shuld b taken efery time lol win things r rittin n this manner it is pritty hard 2 follo lol i new i wuz gunna git blazed greef an crap frum what i posted lol but did i or did i not get a point akros idk only tyme will tel lol like i stated n i previos post i sorry 2 ne i offendd lol most uf these yung guns have moor skooling than me lol do ipods have puntuatin keys ur not idk i just think theyz shuld tri a wee bit hrdr lol i knoe dont thro stones win u lif n a glass house or how bout win pointing out falicys 1 shuld looc n da mirrur 1 lol mbe i will donate a hooked on fonix as a prize gift lol i mite git 1 4 myself also lol but peece b with u n yur jurnys lol idk kant we b bff idk

You donate the hooked on phonics and I will donate the Obama Chia pet. LOL Funny stuff.

This is from your profile

Right now you have $3500 into a car that is worth $2500 if it was running driving. Remember to walk before your run....

The 7.25 rear end wasn't broke. So run it and fix the other stuff that is broken worn out. Use patience and time to your advantage and at least figure out what drum to drum A-body sure grips go for and wait on a good deal under average selling price. Sounds like you paid $800 plus for the rear end. If so, an average price. But that could have went to your front end and/or gas tank to get your car in running order.

Objective is to get the car running. Disregard improvements unless they are part of fixing something (727 trans) or you walk into a great deal.

See if you can find a good used 67 gas tank somewhat locally. Maybe you can get one that you can look at in person and get for $40-50, maybe less. Clean it yourself.

Do you know the Mopar scene in your area? Meaning all the guys that sell used Mopar parts, the guys in the club, the shops that specialize in Mopar stuff. It takes a while, but it is really really helpful. You will get a feel of who to deal with, under what terms, and who to be careful with. I would really suggest going to a Capitol Cities Mopar club meeting: http://www.capitalcitymopars.com/Clubinfo.htm You don't need to go to every one of their events, or go to any. But asking questions before, during, and after a meeting can be really helpful.
thanks for advice. actually the rear end locked up though and it was no longer salvageable.
and as far as the gas tank, I had found one. and the guy told me that it was definitely the correct one for a 67 dart, and i spent 75 bucks on it, cleaned it, painted it, and undercoated it. and then went to install it, and it wasn't the correct one. It rubbed on the shocks and after doing research found out that it was a 70-71 gas tank..

appreciate you taking your time to offer your 2 cents. while i'm doing this build though, i'm going to do it the right way the first time.
i may have more money invested into this car than what its worth. but the experience gained by rebuilding and doing all of these upgrades is invaluable.

i've went to a few things with capital city mopars, they seem pretty stuck up there and not friendly at all. most mopar guys arent. But i've been to a few things with myself and some buddies, and nobody really has had any good experiences. those guys don't like the younger crowd in my opinion. no offence to Cap city mopars though..

This made my night... even if I did give up reading it before I got to the third line. Funny stuff, and good way to make your point, haha.

We're getting a bit sidetracked here.

I didn't ask the Y.G.'s to post their stories so we could all offer constructive criticism and question their restoration choices. I understand that it was given in an effort to help but, with all due respect, this isn't the thread to do it -- this whole thing is supposed to be FUN. If you think you can help out a Young Gun with a specific problem they've addressed in their story, please PM them directly.

Anybody besides 65BCODA wish to donate something tangible to the cause?

Thank you Zach for seeing the lighter side of my post.
Again I would like to extend my apoligies to any whom took offense to my original post.
This topic should be full of positive posts, I'm sure that is what Leanna intended it to be.
I have donated to the prize fund earlier today and will continue as long as the effort moves forward.
Some one is going to be very happy when they receive their Obama Chia Pet LOL

There was no offense taken...just thought that I would further explain my self in the earlyer post as to why I didn't punctuate everything and capitalize. I didn't type as though everything was abreviated and miss spelled as you have. This isn't a place to criticise nor judge. I would prefer in the future to PM someone if you have a question or problem, because they can be easily fixed with no problem! :)
Since this has been such an issue I have corrected my earlyer post!

8) Leanna, I will be more than happy to contribute to the "Young Guns" here. There have been alot of them joining FABO recently. Give me some time to think of something........ Great Thread :cheers:

Alright well, all is well now and we are all getting along... now lets get back to this young guns business. If I had something to donate I would :p

thanks for advice. actually the rear end locked up though and it was no longer salvageable.
and as far as the gas tank, I had found one. and the guy told me that it was definitely the correct one for a 67 dart, and i spent 75 bucks on it, cleaned it, painted it, and undercoated it. and then went to install it, and it wasn't the correct one. It rubbed on the shocks and after doing research found out that it was a 70-71 gas tank.

appreciate you taking your time to offer your 2 cents. while i'm doing this build though, i'm going to do it the right way the first time.

I didn't realize the 7.25 was broke, you just said the trans broke. Sorry about that. If you are replacing it might as well upgrade.

I offering my advice (2cents) because I have been exactly where you are at. AND just today a young gun, Sharpie, got so fustrated with his 71 Demon project he just put it up for sale. I'm really sad to see him sell it. I just wished there were some things he could have done to keep him from ending up in this situation.

So today we are losing a young gun. So the timing sort of hits home right now.

i've went to a few things with capital city mopars, they seem pretty stuck up there and not friendly at all. most mopar guys are. But i've been to a few things with myself and some buddies, and nobody really has had any good experiences. those guys don't like the younger crowd in my opinion. no offence to Cap city mopars though..

Sorry you had that experiance with that club. And sorry most of the Mopar people you have run into have treated you with a cold shoulder.

I didn't realize the 7.25 was broke, you just said the trans broke. Sorry about that. If you are replacing it might as well upgrade.

I offering my advice (2cents) because I have been exactly where you are at. AND just today a young gun, Sharpie, got so fustrated with his 71 Demon project he just put it up for sale. I'm really sad to see him sell it. I just wished there were some things he could have done to keep him from ending up in this situation.

So today we are losing a young gun. So the timing sort of hits home right now.

Sorry you had that experiance with that club. And sorry most of the Mopar people you have run into have treated you with a cold shoulder.

not your fault. most mopar guys i have met are actually friendly!
especially on this site. but its just that clubs people arent the friendliest to the younger crowd. thats too bad to hear about sharpie though. he'll come back to the hobby later in life when he can afford it more hopefully..

definitely appreciate everyone helping us younger guys learn more about our cars here on Mopar.

but its just that clubs people arent the friendliest to the younger crowd. ..

Not all clubs are like that. I know we have about 15-20% under 30 year olds at our meetings. And at least 25% of total members were under 30 year olds when they first joined the club. FABO member MoparJ is a young gun and a member.

Hang in there, you will rub across the local Mopar people more and more over time and they might change their attitude.

autoxcuda, are you in capital city mopars?

i really want to find a local mopar club that i can meet local people in, just haven't found that yet. and sorry cudachick for cluttering this thread with our conversation

8) Leanna, I will be more than happy to contribute to the "Young Guns" here. There have been alot of them joining FABO recently. Give me some time to think of something........ Great Thread :cheers:

That would be awesome, thank you! The contest goes until January 31, 2010 so take all the time you need.

If the donations keep coming in like they did at the start on Friday, there will be enough swag to keep the contest going on a monthly, semi-annual or annual basis. Maybe even divide up the entries and give one Prize Package to a Young Gun and the other to a Young Hun!!! [Credit for the "Young Hun" title goes to our very own Kelsey Dana who shared it with me yesterday ... it made me laugh.]

One thing I feel compelled to point out at this early juncture is that this effort is being appreciated a lot more than we may realize. Almost every email I've received of the entrants' post links has a big "Thank You for doing this!" sort of comment along with it. That on its own is enough to keep me going, and it's my pleasure to do it.

Guys, I agree with CC, we're gettting sidetracked. Take it to PM.

The giveway prize/Young guns sign up page says to come to this thread for general commentary. So I am confused?

Small Block has graciously started a separate thread (link to this thread) for general commentary and the prizes to be awarded to the winner,

But it also says the prizes will be awarded in this thread.

I'd suggest a title change to this thread if that is the case. The title now is about helping a specific person, but the content is about helping all young guns with contest/prizes.

Maybe change the title to: Young Guns Discussion OR Young Guns Prizes OR Young Gun Prizes and Prize Sponsors OR Young Guns Help Center...

I believe the title is HELP CUDACHICK, who is the person heading up this venture, whereas CUDA_CHIC is one of the young guns/huns.

I may be wrong though, clarification any one?

Oh c'mon guys, it's not that hard.

The giveway prize/Young guns sign up page says to come to this thread for general commentary. So I am confused?

Apparently, yes. Otherwise your comments to Fredsmedina and Kelsey Dana would have been here (or preferably in private messages) instead of in the "Young Guns -- Sign In and Win" thread where their stories appear.

Quote:
Small Block has graciously started a separate thread (link to this thread) for general commentary and the prizes to be awarded to the winner,
But it also says the prizes will be awarded in this thread.
I could have worded that better I suppose.

THIS THREAD, "Help CudaChick," was started by Small Block (the first extremely generous person to offer to help ME with the effort to add to the prize package) to keep the "Young Guns -- Sign In and Win" thread devoted solely to the stories.

If you wish to offer up anything to add to the prize package, do so either here in this thread in public, by Private Message to me, or by an email to me at [email protected]. I've been posting updates of the Prize List IN THIS THREAD so people don't have to search through pages of stories in the other thread to find out what is being given away.

So here's a little recap:

"Young Guns -- Sign In and Win" is for the young guns' stories.

"Help CudaChick" is the fund/prize raising thread for discussion concerning all items that will be awarded to the winner of the Young Guns Story Contest and for any other commentary relating to the contest.

If you wish to make an observation about a particular young gun's story or offer to help them with something specific to their project, please do so by way of private message to that individual unless it's something that would be interesting to everyone.

I really hate to come off as a b!tch, but this is supposed to be FUN and give the young guns an opportunity to tell the world why they love their Mopar, and maybe win a really cool prize package as a result. If you can't accept that, please feel free to read another thread instead.

I honestly don't know how this thread morphed from helping out with donations to offering advice, but let's get back on track here.

I had mentioned that I had a carpet for a 4 spd. A body that I couldn't use in my car (I needed the rear cargo area carpeting too...) so I had wanted to sell it. I'm sorry as a few people offered to buy it, but instead, I'm going to donate it to the young guns cause.

It's a Black 4 spd. carpet that would work in any `67-76 A body 2 door. Obviously, if you have a Barracuda Fastback it does NOT include the rear cargo area pieces. This is the front and rear piece for the passenger compartment. If pictures are needed, I can snap a few this week.

Leanne, let me know who to ship it to when the time comes....
8)

-
Back