help engine

-

jetman1

Reaction score
Can anyone out there help a fabo member with engine problem (possible spun main bearing) have very little experince tearing down engines and no tools for pulling or reparing engine.I live in Harrison Ohio(Westside of Cincinnati) if you can help pm me.Thanks jetman1.Sorry foregot to add 360 4 speed Duster.

Keep bumping your thread, jetman; I am sure there are some members within a decent drive from your locale.

Can anyone out there help a fabo member with engine problem (possible spun main bearing) have very little experince tearing down engines and no tools for pulling or reparing engine.I live in Harrison Ohio(Westside of Cincinnati) if you can help pm me.Thanks jetman1.Sorry foregot to add 360 4 speed Duster.

PM sent with my #!
Hallah!:happy10:

Hey Jetman,
Nice meetin' YA!
Anyway, We're still leanin towards a connecting rod bearing. Poss High rev. problem.
Will be talking with my mechanic later and already spoke to the Yard Dog retired chrysler dude.

Was nice meeting your car, Olivia. I really hated lifting her hood and making you take her top off, poking around on her, and playing with her hoses all on the first meeting! Wish it were better circumstances.

Anyone in the IN, OH, KY, area with a running 71 360 4 bbl?? If so shout it out!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on a slight knock after warm up, post-quick throttle on run down, knock knock knock, after throttle disapating as the engine slows, untill not detectable at idle.
Listened to top end only 3 slightly tapping lifters, no unusual noise at valves, water pump, timing housing, intakes and exhaust manifolds etc...

Just talked with my mechanic wont venture a guess due to " could be anything" & has seen cranks cracked before with main holding together.

Talked again with the retired chrysler tech. Usually on high rev the rod bolts stretch & produce knock. Weekest part on small block. After pulling while inspecting might find other stuff.

Very clean oil, no coolant present in oil, radiator coolant clean and at proper mix.
Olivia is well cared for, and I would like to help her get over the blues.......

Ideas from the experts please!!!!

Me again,
After we hear from others here, we'll figure out.

Right now, in my chrystal ball, I'm thinking your mechanic to pull with you and me. We go ahead and take down to see. Then if you or your mecanic can't rebuild, we go to machine shop in Dillsboro IN, if they have opening, my guy checking and will know about soon.

At least you will be digging in too and learning about the guts, me too! That way you can check other thing too that might be going. Cast # 4.8.71 block could be still stock or old rebuild.

Could probibly get the son involved to gain appreciation for internal mechanics of the whole thing.

Lets see what the members have to offer on info..............

We might need to move thread to the "Engine Issues" section of the site, I don't know................................You're thoughts?

Thanks for coming over John and helping( Olivia ) out ,i did a tranny 727 on my 69 Dodge dart back in 1985 (First time for that)so now i get to go into 360 engine.Yahoo!Get her done.

Thanks for coming over John and helping( Olivia ) out ,i did a tranny 727 on my 69 Dodge dart back in 1985 (First time for that)so now i get to go into 360 engine.Yahoo!Get her done.

Hope I get to help!
When all the FABO's come home after work tonight we'll see what they have to say.

I'm trackin a 65 (I think it's a 66) 2 door dart....................Hope we gitit!
Sushhhhhh I think it's gettin ready to move!!!!!!!!!!

Be in touch tomarrow!!

Bump, Knock Knock................
Who's There?
Nobody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know if you guys don't like me cause of my breath let me know!
Do I got something, right here between my teeth???

Oh I know how to get response, I'll have my wife ABodyBetty ask, everyone likes her!
Sorry Jetman, I tried.

I think you might want to PM an administrator and ask to be moved to engine section, let me know whats up, and how you want to proceed, I'm here to help!

Is there enough with space to remove the oilpan and have a look at the bearings from the underside? I did replace the rod bearings with engine in place on my Fastback 383 cid.
Maybe measure the tolerance of the bearing, with plastigage.
Both mains and rod bearings.

Agree with you maybe start a new thread in the engine section.

My 74 360 makes the same knock and only when hot. It carries good oil psi and only makes the knock above about 1500rpm and is most noticable at cruising speed step on it or let off and the knock goes away. I plan on tearing mine out to check in the spring.

geez i wish i had seen this thread sooner!!! Have you guys pulled the motor yet? are we sure this is not timing/spark related? have you done a compression test on all cylinders yet?
john, you mentioned the oil looks clean? no sparkly's in it? thats a good sign.
feel free to call me i can try to come help pull the motor/tear it down/rebuild... if it comes to that. have tools for everything except cam bearing installation tool. can bring cherry picker over to pull motor if you have garage space to store it for a while till motor goes back in....if it comes to that. 513-708-8792
-Tim

Thanks John and to all that have responded ,started the tear down on Sat,my frend Tony and I, trany is out,mabe Monday will take out engine to see whats going on ,want to rebuild so we know that everything is perfect.Have engine stand and engine lifter now.I will let you all Know what we find.Thanks again jetman1

-
Back