help finding the correct neutral safety switch

-

steveh

Reaction score
did mopar make 2 different length 3 prong nss? wiring is good and switch turns on lights when out of vehicle (69 dart). when in the trans, I gotta back it out 4 turns before lights come on...way too lose and will leak.

part#s please or correct year and make for the shorter one

I used 2 fibre washers (like for a pan plug gskt) on the last one I changed, that a member supplied..

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (prob here) that there is a long and short reach switch,, but spacing it out works.. The fibre washers do seal on the tapered surface..

cheers

inertia... what is pan plug gasket? for an oil pan plug?

I'm surprised others haven't had this problem. anyone got the correct part#

Found this one on rockauto...AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 9A6 More Info AdvanTech

moreinfo.php

only 4 threads

Attachments

• airtex.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 135
inertia... what is pan plug gasket? for an oil pan plug?

I'm surprised others haven't had this problem. anyone got the correct part#

The member had the same problem,, and after messing with it,, and trying a coupla switches,, he brought it over,, and like you found,, it worked backed out a few turns.

There are different types of oil pan drain plug gskts., some are quite thick,, and we found 2 of them together spaces it out enuff to work..

Perhaps go to an oil change facility/parts store, with the switch,, and get 2 or 3 gskts that fit the switch,, enuff to space it out a little over 1/8 in,, and a little more..

hope it helps..

Fishy... do you know anything about alternative switches. ??

I'm pretty sure that holley power valve gaskets are the same diameter , I haven't been back over to Inertia's place to verify it yet but they are the same fibre material as the ones we put in my car , so far no leaks by the way . You might check with DusterGlenn but I'm pretty sure the short one is no longer available from Standard .

P.S. I don't mind you letting people know I have you helping me with my car , heck your a very knowledgeable old school mechanic and I'm lucky to have access to your wealth of info when it comes to actually fixing things instead of throwing parts at problems -cheers eh !

differant dept 3 prong switches?,i learn something new every day.never knew.i though all 3 prongs were,well,the same

If you know you tranny hasn't been messed with much,check the numbers on the case at the pan rail for year.A search on here will help decifer the number.They made a change in the valve body in turn a change in the switch. I installed a short one inplace of what should have been the longer one and the reverse lights stay on in all gears except park. The neutral safety worked.

many thx inertia,

ggrabbed two fiber oil plug washers from napa...worked like a charm

-
Back