Help for a Duster newbie

-

69Chevelle454

Reaction score
Hi guys i just bought a 1970 duster with a slant 6 225. How ever im wanting to drop a 440bb into it. Is that possible? What all do i need to modify to make it fit? And do i have to cut the fire wall or will it fit without any problems? Thanks guys i appreciate it.

hey there 69brandx, if you want to fit a big block into an a-body, your best bet is to buy conversion mounts from schumacher or another brand. It will be a tight fight and you will probably need to do some cutting to fit headers in there. do you already have a 440 for it? another route you may want to look at is building a small block stroker

Welcome aboard!

The Shumacher kit (SP! but heres the link; http://www.engine-swaps.com/ ) is probably the best and easiest bet to do a swap. The instructions are easy to follow and require a simple cut/mod to the stock K-frames drivers engine pearch. (Actually, mine was a cake walk for the /6 - 318.)
Headers may, depending on tube size and style, require fender well cutting. I do believe TTI has a set that doesn't. I'm not a 100% sure on that one.
OH crap, late addition, I totalllly forgot, the swap place also has tri-y headers that perform very well and fit GREAT!

A driveshaft will need to be cut down and a better rear carrier will need to swapped in. Depending on HP level sought, the size of the rear for a stock 440 should be at a min. of 8-3/4/ The next logical size to go to and deal with would be a DANA 60 from Moser or Strange. In the long run, it would be cheaper to purchase the rear from them and be done in one shot rather than buy, build and upgrade.

The tranny should be an easy bolt onto the stock cross member from the slant 6 trans. So do not throw it away. It can be re-used.

Here is a pic of my Swinger which is the same engine bay as the Duster. This was before I put the new 408 W2 motor in.

Dart 6.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh, and that be a big block! Yummmm.

The biggest problem to deal with are headers. You have options; the schumacher tri-Y header will fit underneath but are not equal length tubes and otherwise go with fenderwell type headers to route behind front wheels.
Check out bigblockdart.com as that site has a couple of tech articles on what is needed to install big block. I have gone with the stroker in small block Duster. Welcome to the mopar world.

Hi guys i just bought a 1970 duster with a slant 6 225. How ever im wanting to drop a 440bb into it. Is that possible? What all do i need to modify to make it fit? And do i have to cut the fire wall or will it fit without any problems? Thanks guys i appreciate it.

First off "69Chevelle454", you're going to have to change your name, just kidding. The guys have hit on most of the changes requires but a few were missed such as subframe connectors, larger torsion bars (O.D.), as big a radiator that'll fit, disc brakes up front, 187 oil pan with notch for clearance to the idler arm and a 727 tranny, was that the cash register I heard going kaching. You may want to consider a 383 or 400 or stroked 400 instead as they are not as tight a fit as the 440. Below is my 383 with all the schmacher stuff.

Terry

Copy of P9100004.JPG

Yeah man, what's the deal with that name? As you will find out as you frequent this forum more, Chevelles and other Brand X cars are slow as balls.

Honestly, do some more research and you'll find that a big-block A-body might not be the best choice. It will be front-heavy and not as nimble as a small-block-equipped car. A nicely built 360 IMO is the best all-around option, for it will make a nice light Duster scoot pretty damn quick.

Your going to find that it is alot more work, and more expensive to do this to a duster, than any chevy...so be aware of that. I am almost done mine, you can take a look at the steps I have done along the way here, as well as see some of the parts I had to buy.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33454

and ask lots of questions along the way. Rumble fish, and demon seed have helped me along the way...thanks guys.

and seeing that there are some pics here, I thought I could show mine.

enjoy

hey terry, it sure looks like you have more clearance between the passanger side inner fender and header than I do. is that a 383?

Hmm

Phil

Haha, thanks for all the info guys. Ive actually found a 383 and im going with that. Ive been a Mopar fanatic for years, the reason i own the chevelle is because the ease of wich i can find stuff for it. But mine isnt slow :snakeman: 586rwhp 610rwtrq. Thanks for everything guys it helped a lot.:read2:

Haha, thanks for all the info guys. Ive actually found a 383 and im going with that. Ive been a Mopar fanatic for years, the reason i own the chevelle is because the ease of wich i can find stuff for it. But mine isnt slow :snakeman: 586rwhp 610rwtrq. Thanks for everything guys it helped a lot.:read2:

Holey Crap Batman, that thing is a beast. Don't forget you can also stroke the 383 to 438 or 496.

-
Back