Help for a New Guy.

-

fireman

Reaction score
My name is Dave and I am new to forabodies, and somewhat new to classics. I fell in love with the Dart when I was 16. I needed a car and my dad hooked me up with a guy who sold me a 65 Dart with a slant 6 for $200. It was rusted, dented, terrible paint, interior falling apart....but it ran. I drove it for 5 years until the rust got into the engine compartment and could no longer even hold an engine. I always felt terrible about not fixing her up and as of yesterday I plan on gaining redemption! Yesterday I bought a 1965 Dart GT with a 273 and a two barrel. It is in fair shape but will require a little work from me! I do have a ton of questions though which is the purpose for this post in the first place.

The front and rear bumper are not proper so does anyone know where I can get the proper ones?

The drivers bucket seat is worn so should I get a new one or just have it redone?

There is some rust at the rear egdes of the rear wheel wells. How do I take care of this and are there any other common areas that I should be alerted to and/or check out?

It has a two barrel carb but the old upgrade did allow for a four barrel. Is this recommended, and if so, somewhat easy to change?

and last...a total rookie question...fuel? lowest grade? Highest grad? additives?

I'm sure there will be way more questions as time goes on. Sorry about the length here. Thanks for taking the time to read/answer and I hope to hear back some good thoughts. Thanks a ton.

-Dave

Welcome to FABO Dave!You can post in the Wanted Parts forum for some correct bumpers,best to have the seats recovered(Legendary has what you need)I would save swapping to a 4 bbl. to a later date.This way you can enjoy your ride while you do some upgrades.Good Luck!

hey dave first off welcome to FABO.

now to business, there are people here who know more than i do but i still know some things,

for the seats it depends on if you want them stock or custom coverings or what. i think that it is usually cheaper to get a new seat(s) then to pay to have covers made however if you wanna get some made and wanna wait so you can get the money saved up, if you have bucket seats then pep boys has covers for them till you get the seat recovered, bench seats not so much. as for where exactly to buy new seats not sure, i dont think year one goes back that far but you can check.

rust, check the rocker panels and the bottom of the quarters especially behind the rear wheels, around the drip rails and thats about all i can think of as far as normal places oh.. obviously the floor pans and the trunk floor.

to replace the wheel wells i find it is easiest to just cut out the rust, cut out patches from some scrap metal and then weld the patches in.

for bumpers i think they can be found easiest online or in junk yards you can check Wild Cat Auto Wrecking they have tons of bumpers, do a search for them on google and they should pop right up.

sorry not sure about the carb

for the gas get a good system cleaner and replace the filter then i would use regular gas cause then higher grade can cause some issues with an old engine unless its always been run on higher grade, if you rebuild the engine then step up to middle or high test.

oh also for the parts you need check the classified ads here on the forums there are always people selling parts so be sure to check in there but ask around before you buy from someone cause there unfortunately is always someone who is a rip off.

thats about the extent of my knowledge for what you asked

good luck
-marc

Welcome. When ever you get prices be sure to get there name and if so have it in writing.I made that mistake with a body man and got BURNT.The guty who painted perfect,not the body man he is only good to paint sheads.

Welcome to FABO!8)

75-86.jpg

75-87.jpg

Dave, aka fireman, Welcome to FABO! Everything you need and need to know about a bodies is HERE! NICE Dart! Tune it up, drive it "2 bbl" while you get everything else the way you want it. Legendary Interiors http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/ is a great place for all of your interior needs. Absolutely the best reproduction seat covers around! Did I say NICE Dart, why yes I did!

-
Back