Help! Going Crazy,

-

73dust

R.E.D.
Reaction score
My brake light all of a sudden is always on? I disconnected Emergency Brake & Brake Switch itself, still on?

Try changing the brakelight switch. If you disconnect it, the brake lights should go off.

Once had a tailamp on a Duster that caused similar issue. When I pulled a bulb, the plastic in the socket had melted and the brass pin was grounding out.

Grant

switch on the proportioning valve get moved? that will turn the brake light indicator on in the dash (starting in late 60's)

Thank You Guys, I will be at it again tomorrow checking out all of the above & starting a process of elimination. Will let you know the results. Thanks

Low brake fluid level in the master will also trip the light.

how about the little metal tab that the brake light switch push's on when the brake peddle is released ...ck it with a test light see if the switch is working ,

My '72 Duster had a problem with the switch,(behind the brake pedal)getting out of adjustement. I bet I adjusted it a dozen times in the 3 years I drove the car.

Well two days later & still can't find problem? I have the brake light (on dash cluster) always on. I have no passenger side brake light (brown wire) or passenger side four way light working. Everything else works? All four corners turn turn signals work, all running lights work, all side markers work, only three corners of fourway work & only drivers side brake light work? I tested the brown wire at the bulb socket & at the wire harness behind the drivers side kick panel, wire tested dead durning these two operations (both brake & 4 way flash)??????? Really need suggestions not safe driving around with only one brake light.

the brown wires at the rear fixtures are park lamp wires. Yellow and green left and right serve as both turn and brake lamp wires. Sounds like you need a bulb at right rear.

I tested & changed all bulbs, original 73 harness, I have black, green & white at drivers side tail lamp & black,brown & white at pass. side ?

Got It! Just for your info.! After a week of aggravation & tests, found the female plastic plug (wiring harness plug) that the signal switch plugs into after it comes out the bottom of the steering column was cracked from old age right at the pin for the brown wire (pass. side tail light) & was not making contact.....WOW its now fixed. Thank You all for responding, something to check if you have a simular problem.

-
Back