Help! How do you remove the transmission lines from the radiator w/o breaking them?

-

ILLDuster74

Reaction score
I'm trying to take my radiator off to work on the front of my enigne and cannot for the line of me get the transmission lines off. I have the correct line wrench and a regular wrench to to turn the smaller bolt on the pipe but im worried which direction to go and how much to turn it. Any help would be great.

I have found that using some kind of penetrating spray works great to sort of un seize the lines because it's probably been how long since they were last removed?
Then put both wrenches on both nuts. I like to hold the little one in one place while turning the larger one.
Remember, lefty loosey, righty tighty.
If the little nut starts to strip itself in the wrench, I find using a pair of vice grips works quite well. Tighten those mothers down and hold in one place, and then try turning the larger.
Hope that helps.

I hit it with penetrating oil, the problem is that when i turn the nuts esp the one the the tube the line turns with the nut, maybe its siezed on the tube?

That's pretty much the way it's done. However, if that didn't work. I hacksaw the hard lines about two inches away fron the coupling, pop the radiator out, and then when it's time to install it again I use 1/2'' rubber line (use fuel line. All other rubber hose will be eaten by trans fluid) with hose clamps to go over the break. Pretty classy eh? It works though.

Counter clock wise and spray some blaster on the line fitting and let it set
over night, They are on there REAL tight, I have seen them cut and flared
and put back together with rubber high pressure lines.
It works like a gas fitting to most carbs.
Good luck and be careful not to twist the radiator fitting and brake the radiator. A good tec will jump in and help as soon as they can ,But I have seen allot of these lines patched with rubber high pressure lines.

Hahahaha do you guys mean like this?..

DSC01522.jpg

Thanks guys. They are a pain I hit em before and let em hit but ill try it again. If not hack saw it will be. Funny thing is this car everything has come off well except for all the lines.

Should i turn the fitting in the radiator? or the line nut?

Haha, no problem. Who cares if they're ugly, they work.

As for which one to turn, try keeping the smaller one that goes into the rad from turning, and turn the larger line nut.

Thats how my carb looks too mike, thanks its been a long time since I wrenched on a car like this lol. used to the 4 banger neons and minvans.

If you have a med size set of needle nose vice-grips you can get a good bite on the brass fitting with that if it is too rounded for a 1/2" wrench.

Pretty sure that's how the dealers did it back in the day. Not sure I've ever seen uncut lines.

If you do decide to use the rubber hose make sure you use two hose clamps on each side for each line. When I pulled the trans on my truck I used the rubber hose trick to put it back together. Six months later I dropped tranny fluid all over the street only to find that one of the lines had the clamp slip off of it....

You can patch them together without using rubber line. Get (2) 5/16 " compression unions and put them in.

trans lines, brake lines, fuel lines, all those flare fittings,, I put a pair of visegrips on the collecter nut and smack the crap out of it. They always jar loose easier than slow pull for me. Where the mating part is also threaded (most everywhere) a second wrench to hold that is needed.

Pretty sure that's how the dealers did it back in the day. Not sure I've ever seen uncut lines.

My Valiant's tranny cooler lines came off ok, 4 years ago;
but, my car came from California to the east coast the year before.

I did spray the fittings with PB Blaster.

What a joy to work on a Non-rust belt older car.

90ea.jpg

-
Back