Help--How to Refill Hydraulic Pump on 64 Dart GT Vert Top

-

Rhetor

Reaction score
Got a 64 Dart GT Vert . . .

The top up/down motor works great . . . but requires a heavy push/pull to get the top up and down.

So motor works great and humming strong, but hydaulic pump must need more oil, because it will not go up and down without hard pushing/pulling.

Can the pump be refilled with oil?

If not, where to get a replacement?

Ad either way, how in the world do I get to it to fill it or replace it with a new one?

Thanks

That's an indicator that the pump may be low on fluid. The fluid lever in the reservoir should only be checked when the top is down.
It can easily be refilled. First make sure it's not low because of a leak or break in a hose somewhere back there..
If the hoses and connections are good, fill the reservoir with Type A transmission fluid. The plain old red stuff is fine. Fill it all the way to the top-if some runs out the filler hole, that's no problem - just wipe it off with a rag.
Replace the filler cap and test it a few times. You can force air out of the system by running it all the way up and down several times.

After doing all that, I like to check the fluid level and hoses again to make sure everything's OK. You might need to top off the fluid a little.

If all that works out like it usually does, you'll be impressing folks with your fancy power top in no time...8)

Gor a 64 Dart GT Vert . . .

The top up/down motor works great . . . but requires a heavy push/pull to get the top up and down.

So motor works great and humming strong, but hydaulic pump must need more oil, because it will not go up and down without hard pushing/pulling.

Can the pump be refilled with oil?

If not, where to get a replacement?

Ad either way, how in the world do I get to it to fill it or replace it with a new one?

Thanks
Pulling the rear seat back will give you easier access to the pump. Pull the filler plug and fill it until the level is even with the hole. I like to use an oil squirt can....seems to go into the reservoir easier.

Do not put the plug back in the pump after you fill the reservoir.... Put a rag or two under the pump and run the top up and down to bleed the system first. When you have done this and with the top down then put the plug back in. You may not have air in the lines, however, since you are having issues with the operation of the top there has to be a cause. Low fluid, air in the system or maybe the pump is bad. You can find whatever you need at, www.topsdown.com. Good luck.

Please don't add fluid and replace plug without running the pump a couple of cycles and only replace the plug after the top is down. Want to know why??? If you replace the plug and the reservoir is over filled you will blow your seals. Been there and done that about two weeks ago.

Do not put the plug back in the pump after you fill the reservoir.... Put a rag or two under the pump and run the top up and down to bleed the system first. When you have done this and with the top down then put the plug back in. You may not have air in the lines, however, since you are having issues with the operation of the top there has to be a cause. Low fluid, air in the system or maybe the pump is bad. You can find whatever you need at, www.topsdown.com. Good luck.

Please don't add fluid and replace plug without running the pump a couple of cycles and only replace the plug after the top is down. Want to know why??? If you replace the plug and the reservoir is over filled you will blow your seals. Been there and done that about two weeks ago.

Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet!!!!

Now, when the top is down . . . do I have to take off any trim to reach the plug in the pump? Or is just the black thing deep down there I see . . . that my chubby hand can't reach? :) Unfortunately, this is a serious question!

-
Back