Help I did it again!

-

dartnabout

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well like many of you I have too many projects but again I make a mistake. I was looking for a car that I could drive from the day of purchase. I was told by the owner that he would even drive it half way to meet me! Or I could bring someone and drive it home. But I decided to take a friends trailer and go get it by myself. I had offers but it was over 4 hours one way. So when I get there the car will not run well. He claimed that he and his wife had it out for a ride just the day before. The slant six hardly had the power to pull itself up on the trailer. Yes I bought it, (another project now) because I drove all that way and he did lower the price by $400. He also claims the motor was rebuild just 5000 mile ago and he did have the paperwork. Here is my problem...when it is running it shakes all over and when you give it gas it just coughs. The fuel pump is working great. I replaced the fuel filter. I took the top off of the carter 2 barrel carb and it looked clean inside. I adjusted the timing and carb and have it idling a lot better but it still seems to have a miss. No particular cylinder just every cylinder pulling plug wires one at a time seems to make no difference. I replaced cap and rotor...still when you drive it and give it gas there is no power or response. What do I do? Here are some pics. Anyone have a /6 for sale?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKo0FIkc)o5UqBSM2JMMElw~~60_3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 310
  • $(KGrHqNHJBMFIpilQpD5BSM2I+6VPg~~60_3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 308
  • $(KGrHqF,!qEFItnmmz8nBSP5R(3n1Q~~60_14.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 309
  • $T2eC16FHJGwFFZV5dNEpBSM2I0YjdQ~~60_3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 311
It is a 1975 and a lot of the vacume lines are plugged. Did this year have an air pump?

b4 buying anything -- i would adjust the valves- then check the timing -- & go from there ,Lawrence

b4 buying anything -- i would adjust the valves- then check the timing -- & go from there ,Lawrence
x2 I had a 74 /6 duster that would act that way, I had to adjust the valves about every 2000 miles.

Well here is what I have found so far. I decided to do a compression check before doing anything else. #1=135, #2=105, #3=50 #4=108, #5=105, #6=35. I bought this to be my daily driver and was told that it run good. Maybe back in 1975! I like the car and am satisfied everything but how it runs. Next move is to remove valve cover and see what is up. How much to have a head redone if it is that? Do you think it would be the rings? How can I tell if it is rings or the valves?

I have had a couple /6 engines and the longer it was drove (if it has been sitting) the better the numbers got.. If the /6 was rebuilt 5 k ago it could be that it just needs a good valve set, and the plug that is being pulled and there is not a change I would bet the intake or exhoust valve is out of adjustment, the distributor could be set way to low, and if the advance mec. is stuck just bump your timming up to full in 32degrees at 2500 rpms and cap off the vacum from the carb. I would not do anything until the coil and timing, pick up and carb was double checked.. Has this car been setting a couple months ? junk gas has restricted your fuel supply (in the carb jets) so a good cleaning is an easy task sat down in your work area and clean.. Some time they just need to be ran but make sure it is all adjusted everywhere and your tank is clear and clean of junk gas :cheers:

I think the car has been sitting for a couple of years and being run once in a while. One thing that makes me think this is that the oil is clean but I just noticed on the oil filter Milage a few hundred less than on the Odometer and a date of 2005! I am not believing what the guy has told me about anything so when he said it has been sitting for a while I think it has been years. By the way the gas looks clean but it does smell old and there was dirt in the filter. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP HERE! With everyones help I am going to get this thing going

that is a sweet looking dart .....dang I have to keep coming back to this thread to stare. 75 is one of my favorite years for darts .....when I moved in with my adoptive family here in Colorado ...they had a dark green 75 dart SE. with a white top.....this one wasn't the best looker but it was dependable and went everywhere....one day I got home from school to find that they got rid of it .....I was upset and they didn't know at that point I would become a dart collector or they would have kept it ......I have not been able to locate another one.

your car has a sweet personality ...I hope you preserve a very much disappearing kind of dart. :cheers:

Thank you Ranidart. Coming from the Princess of FABO I feel honored. I have to say that when I got there and it did not run well I was highly disappointed but I love it too. It needs a lot of little things to get it back to what it was. A lot of the air polution stuff has been removed. And I want to get the AC back in running order but a lot is missing. I want to get it running first and then replace the missing stuff. I am not at all sorry I brought it home I just wish it was working better.

And Memike too! I feel that I am in good hands now with the support I am getting. Thanks Memike!

Bummer it isn't running the way it should! As mentioned, set the valves first, then put some miles on it and recheck the compression whie it's warm.
Also you say the gas looks clean, you might smell it and make sure it doesn't smell like gas as in, the diaphram leaking on the fuel pump.

Un believable! Took the valve cover off and found the rockers for the two cylinders completely off! And now I have to go for a while AND WILL NOT GET TO ADJUSTING THEM. I am excited though I may get to the bottom of this yet. Maybe no one adjusted them up in forever. Looks really clean inside.

Un believable! Took the valve cover off and found the rockers for the two cylinders completely off! And now I have to go for a while AND WILL NOT GET TO ADJUSTING THEM. I am excited though I may get to the bottom of this yet. Maybe no one adjusted them up in forever. Looks really clean inside.

Yes, that could be great news. I hope nothing is hurt inside and the pushrods are not bent.
Get her together and running!!!

Well.....not happy. There were several bent pushrods. I feel like I was taken. I don't like dishonest people.

Well.....not happy. There were several bent pushrods. I feel like I was taken. I don't like dishonest people.

Don't sweat a few bent push rods. A simple back fire while they were priming the engine with gas could have done that as well as things not being adjusted. Install some news ones and get everything adjusted.

Everything looks clean in there so do you think I need to pull the head to see if there are any bent valves? Or just put new pushrods in?

Everything looks clean in there so do you think I need to pull the head to see if there are any bent valves? Or just put new pushrods in?

i would just put some new pushrods and a new timing set ......thats a bummer to do a timing set but there has to be a reason the pushrods bent in the first place

i had a 68 slant six that the timing chain let go and bent a bunch of pushrods bad and i replaced the timing set and pushrods and to my surprise the engine ran another 2 years after that when i sold it and im pretty its still running now

He was starting it with either. I told him that I have a squirt bottle with gas in to prime it. I hate to use either.

Then when it started he held it to the floor another thing I hate to hear people do.

WOW! That would definitely make it run like crap!

He was starting it with either. I told him that I have a squirt bottle with gas in to prime it. I hate to use either.

That was most likely the problem, I have seen it more time than I have fingers and toes. Pushrods are the weak link. I would just put in some new pushrods and give it a whirl.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will keep you all posted.

-
Back