HELP I need a reliable used car

-
$500? YOU buy it or I will! That's a gift right there. Those failed pumps are a nightmare..the whole system needs to be replaced as well? Yikes. MPG is not stellar but probably reliable as hell. I4 or 6? I'd actually steer toward the 4 if I had a choice, half the O2 sensors and about the same mileage.

Was just talking to one of my patients. I mentioned looking for a reliable used car. They have a 1993 Toyota Camry wagon that they bought brand new. They stopped using it because their dad got too old. They said $500 and I could have it. Looks like all the ratings on those are great. I’m going to take it to the local shop I use and have them run all the tests on it.
sounds like it could be a good one. How many miles?

We just bought one with low miles no rust and stick for $750 My daughters driving it. Both Nissans died a quick death. Head gaskets. Not worth the time and money to repair.

Got a little more info on the 93 Camry wagon. It’s the V6 LE model. 277,000 miles. I’ll still have my mechanic check it out.

I hope it’s been maintained well. It’s only $500, but you said you needed reliability. You can Usually tell when you are looking a car over what kind of shape it’s in. Good luck.
Edit: I mean looking it over and not even taking anything apart yet.

I hope it’s been maintained well. It’s only $500, but you said you needed reliability. You can Usually tell when you are looking a car over what kind of shape it’s in. Good luck.
Edit: I mean looking it over and not even taking anything apart yet.
One owner. Mellow guy so should be good. Always maintained

Just god done talking with a buddy that has a VW. His high pressure pump failed as well. He rebuilt his for $300. Wasn't hard to do and easy to get to as well.

Just god done talking with a buddy that has a VW. His high pressure pump failed as well. He rebuilt his for $300. Wasn't hard to do and easy to get to as well.
I’d be interested in talking with him and getting the specifics of his car. Diesel? What year it was? I’ve heard once the pump goes metal shavings can get pushed down through the fuel system which is why they say they have to replace the entire thing.

If you "junk" your VW, you will have a guaranteed loss of $12K, minus a few bucks for junk value. If you put 6K into it, you'll have a driveable vehicle back and not have to buy another vehicle. All bets are off if you'd have to go another 6K into debt for the repair. I personally would have a really hard time with a 12k debt to pay off on a non-existent vehicle. You at least know the overall condition of your current VW. I mean even a grampa’s 90’s Toyota with close to 300K miles on it is getting to be a gamble.

Of course, this is all assuming you’d actually pay your debts as opposed to defaulting on your car note.

Last edited:
If you "junk" your VW, you will have a guaranteed loss of $12K, minus a few bucks for junk value. If you put 6K into it, you'll have a driveable vehicle back and not have to buy another vehicle. All bets are off if you'd have to go another 6K into debt for the repair. I personally would have a really hard time with a 12k debt to pay off on a non-existent vehicle. You at least know the overall condition of your current VW. I mean even a grampa’s 90’s Toyota with close to 300K miles on it is getting to be a gamble.

Of course, this is all assuming you’d actually pay your debts as opposed to defaulting on your car note.

I have considered these options you mentioned. I brought the car to Volkswagen about a week and a half ago. They know the history of the car and the guy that I’ve worked with for a long time is helping. I actually have not heard anything from them since I dropped it off. He said he would reach out to a couple different departments at Volkswagen to see if they would do anything or help or even pay for the whole thing. I called last Wednesday left a message and asked for an update if he had anything. I didn’t hear back. I’m hoping they end up covering everything and fixing the car. If they do I may just look at selling it. I don’t want to have to deal with another expensive breakdown. Although, I did look up the value of the car right now and it’s only like $6000. When I bought the car a couple years ago it was 12,000 however due to my own fault I still had some money to pay off on another car so that is what I’ve been paying off over the last couple years. Lesson learned, and pretty late in life, I just need to be more careful with my purchases thet put me in debt versus being able to pay cash.

How many vehicles do you have in your fleet, regardless if they are running or not? If not being in debt is a priority, getting your daily drivers paid for and in good working order should be the priority before sinking funds into the ‘fun’ cars.

How many vehicles do you have in your fleet, regardless if they are running or not? If not being in debt is a priority, getting your daily drivers paid for and in good working order should be the priority before sinking funds into the ‘fun’ cars.
Currently I have my 1969 super bee project, a 1965 dodge dart that is running and driving and more of a tinker on car. I use it to learn specific things before applying it to the super B. For example I recently put up a paint booth in my garage and for the first time ever learned how to paint a car. I wanted to do this to know better about what to expect when painting the super B. My wife drives a 2011 Toyota sienna that’s paid off. The only car we owe money on is the Volkswagen.

I’d be interested in talking with him and getting the specifics of his car. Diesel? What year it was? I’ve heard once the pump goes metal shavings can get pushed down through the fuel system which is why they say they have to replace the entire thing.
I usually see him on the weekend. I'll ask him more.

Just spoke to the Volkswagen rep. He basically said the complete fix would be about $4700. He said he was able to get them to cover 75% of it which would leave me with roughly $1000. I’m going to have the fix done however I’m still gonna consider selling the car so I don’t get stuck with some other ridiculous fix that might be needed down the road. Any thoughts or advice I should consider?

What do you realistically think you could sell it for once the repair/fix is done?

Well, without the fix you owe 12K on a car that is worth 1300 bucks

For an extra 1000, you can owe 12K on a car that is worth 6000 bucks

Seems like a no brainer, but like you said, then what?
I would see if you couldnt get them to throw in some kind of WRITTEN warranty

If they don't...i might sell it

It’s not fun, sexy, exciting or a want but I wouldn’t spend another cent on the two old project cars you have and funnel all that project money into paying off the VW you are upside down on. Once you have paid it off and have your daily driver vehicle paid for (whether you keep the VW and have it fully paid for or ditch it and buy a more reliable daily driver and have that daily driver paid off) only then consider spending a dime on your old Dodges.

And don’t comb Craigslist or Facebook market place looking for other projects (really old motor homes) since that’s probably going to be too tempting and not going to get you any closer to paying off you daily driver.

All great advice. I really appreciate it. I have a job that pays very well. It’s funny when you’re making money how it feels like you can just keep on spending it. It’s kind of like an addiction. Then you look back and think, holy crap I could’ve paid off my car if I would’ve not bought all these little things. I realize, like one of the other members who referenced Dave Ramsey said, it’s too late now I’m already in it. I realize I’m going to come out of this one upside down either way. But I can make better decisions from this point forward.

cant remember the name of the guy now, but i used to listen to a guy on the radio...he would always warn about "living paycheck to prozac"

All great advice. I really appreciate it. I have a job that pays very well. It’s funny when you’re making money how it feels like you can just keep on spending it. It’s kind of like an addiction. Then you look back and think, holy crap I could’ve paid off my car if I would’ve not bought all these little things. I realize, like one of the other members who referenced Dave Ramsey said, it’s too late now I’m already in it. I realize I’m going to come out of this one upside down either way. But I can make better decisions from this point forward.

I gotta commend you on your ability to distinguish between advice and criticism. Folks are providing advice and you’re listening and accepting it. Some folks on here would take the advice as criticism and get defensive and argumentative but that’s not you.

I gotta commend you on your ability to distinguish between advice and criticism. Folks are providing advice and you’re listening and accepting it. Some folks on here would take the advice as criticism and get defensive and argumentative but that’s not you.
Thank you, we all have room to improve and being receptive to others opinions, which I asked for, can only help me. being reactive and defensive Can be a natural reaction. I have spent a lot of time working on myself to put my ego down, listen and learn from others. I still slip up here and there but I’m actively trying to improve.

-
Back