help ID my cam

-

jomoper

Mope or Nope
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone could help Me identify this cam.
I bought a rebuilt 360 short block some time ago .
@ the time of purchase I was told it had a mopar performance cam.
W .480" Lift and 280* duration looking in the MP catalog there is no such cam.Out of curiousity I pulled the cam out of the block today.
There are three strings of numbers on the end as follows.
also a cast -in # 1136
the shaft between the lobes was painted purple but it looks more like a lavender color.Been looking on various cam manufacturers web sites but have found no such part # .
Any Ideas?

Sounds like a purple shaft from the paint marks, Could be either the 280-474 or the 284-484.

Thanks guys
Just wish I knew for sure .
Kinda hard to plan your combo with an unknown cam.
Never got any paper work with the purchase . It was one of those deals where somebody had a machine shop rebuild it then flaked .
It did come with a set of M.P. matching lifters.(and boxes of misc.parts)
think I could get an accurate measurement of lift with a dial indicator ?
Should that be at the lifter,the rocker arm or the valve tip ?
AdamR Sounds like a purple shaft from the paint marks, Could be either the 280-474 or the 284-484.
Adam that's what I was thinking but which one ?

Thanks guys
Just wish I knew for sure .
Kinda hard to plan your combo with an unknown cam.
Never got any paper work with the purchase . It was one of those deals where somebody had a machine shop rebuild it then flaked .
It did come with a set of M.P. matching lifters.(and boxes of misc.parts)
think I could get an accurate measurement of lift with a dial indicator ?
Should that be at the lifter,the rocker arm or the valve tip ?

Adam that's what I was thinking but which one ?
if you measure the lift at the lifter multiply it by 1.5 it will equal movement at the valve tip. that is if you using stock type rockers 1.5 ratio that will tell you cam lift is

I have one that sounds similar.

Look at the back end of the cam for a paint stripe. My 284/484/108 has a beige stripe with a single red dot. The paint near the front lobes is definitely purple, but, I'm sort of color blind. LOL

Jeff has a good idea there. That's how I always measure them. I found since the lobe is tapered a little it's pretty hard to get an accurate measurement off of the cam itself. I install them in a block and put in a lifter and measure it with a dial indicator then multiply by 1.5

Ideally you should be able to measure the lift at the valve but due to SB Mopars geometry snafu it looses some lift so the only way to get a accurate measurement is off the lifter.

whoo hoo\\:D/
Thats my 100th post .
Sorry I've been sick all day and I'm bored silly .
So I challenged myself to hit #100 today.
At least I'm feeling better now. I'd planned on starting the front suspension rebuild tomorrow . since I'm off till monday.
Got a little done today painted the block orange.

-
Back