-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
Hey,
I picked up a homemade trailer.
Someone put these on the axles.
(Brakes are NFG.)
I figure they are off of some kind import since they say “metric” on the studs.
But they are a 5 on 4 ½ pattern and Chrysler rims fit. (Yea)
I wanted to repack the bearings.
I took off the brake crap and unbolted the “hub” (torx fasteners).
Well, there is no opening on the rear of the hub where the bearing would be.
In other words the only way to get in it would be the front.
So I figure the only way they could have put this assembly together was that “one way” plug looking thing. I’ll try that off when I get time.
Out of curiosity.
Does anyone have a clue what this might be off of?
If know one knows for sure I’ll try and get some disassembled pics to show you.

GM is about the only automaker that uses torx type fasteners so I would agree that it must be a GM thing.

Chuck

Quite a few GM front drive vehicles use 4 1/2" pattern.

Chuck
That may be, but not a Venture or Montana. They are 115mm pattern. It may be close, and would probably work. Typical GM, gotta be different.

Actually, after looking thru my Hollander book, GM doesn't appear to have any 4 1/2" bolt pattern rims. Lots of 115mm ones.

115mm is basically 4 1/2" or at least it is within .0276 of 4 1/2". The hubs adriver has could actually be and probably are 115mm. He just says 4 1/2" rims fit on them. I should have clarified that I meant 115mm when I said 4 1/2" because 115mm really isn't 4 1/2".

Chuck

They could be grand am or similar cars rear hubs, I have made a couple trailers as they have a 4 1/2 bolt pattern Just take the hub off and go to a parts store and ask for a grand am hub and compare, if they are smart they will get it right.

After getting off of my butt and heading out into the yard, it looks like MrMoparTech is correct.

The only hubs that I saw that had those three holes were indeed on a GM product.

I certainly didn't look at every possible vehicle, but I'm sure that you can be confident that they are from a GM mini-van.

Thanks for replying, all.
I am going to post more pictures when I get a chance.
(Going to use the trailer this weeked to help move junior and his bride out of his apartment and into their first house.)
I should have taken some of the rims. That would really have helped since who ever modifed the trailer welded the assemblies on the axles and probably used the rims that came with the hubs.

The question that really is bugging me is how the hell the bearing can be greased.
Probably they weren't meant to be greased.
Like you said : take the piece down to the store and buy an new one.
But that big one way screwdriver slot looking thing has me hooked.

Its a sealed bearing, not servicable. Those torx bolts are usually tight, so make sure you have the right size torx bit when you do it. If the brakes arent being used, I would just throw all that away. Thats what I did.

Hey Cageman and everyone.
I just got back to this.
I wanted to follow up and thank you guys again helping to satisfy my curiosity.
Here are some more pics like I said.
The deal is someone cut the axle up and added these.
I guess since they are probably GM I can badmouth them.
I tried getting the “plugs” out of the front to see if I could grease the bearings.
No good. (Like you said.)
I really like the way the trailer is made but I don’t trust bearings I can’t lube.
That is sort of a big “got ya” on the road.
Plus you can see that the ends may or may not be really “true” and the welding is sort of back yard.
I plan on really loading this trailer up.
So what I did was just order a new drop axle with 5 on 4.5 hubs.
It was only 90 bucks for a 3500-pound assembly
Supposed to be Fed Exed to me this week.
Thanks again

i was going to suggest drilling and tapping a zerk in one side and a tapped plug hole on the other side so you could virtually flush the bearings

Yeah, 90 bucks aint bad, but free is better, and thats why I use those hubs once and a while

-
Back