Help ID this 8 /4" rear end

-

comoxian

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up this 8 3/4" rear end. It's out of a '66 Dodge Panel truck. 2WD, 318 Poly, manual trans, 3.91 non SG.

I cleaned off all of the gunk, expecting to find the numbers that I am used to seeing. Nope, no 489, or 741/2, just these.

Can you tell me what it is?

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

Does it have the nuts on the ends of the axles? I have one out of a 64 plymouth and it has nuts on axle ends but it clearly states 742. Still searching.
Small Block

Yep, 657 is an early pre-64 case. It can be used for any 8 3/4 and I think dla4567 is correct that it's innards are the same as a 741. Geof

That truck would be mighty cool if the top was chopped about 3 inches.....

It would make a bitchen dog hauler and parts chaser. Did you buy the whole truck?

I remember reading somewhere that may be a light duty 8" ring gear in a 8.75 housing. I may be wrong though.

Quote Yes, it has nuts and cotter pins on the ends of the axles.

Run like hell those axles were nasty, just kidding, that 657 pumpkin will accept all the parts (gears and bearings) for a 741 but the tapered keyed axles are garbage.

I'm surprised it was in a '66 model. I thought they ended the tapered axles in '64. Maybe it was a transplant. I think the 657 casting is in the '57-9 vintage. I don't agree with demonseed that they are "garbage". A pain? sometimes....especially if the last time they were off the installer didn't coat the axle shaft with Neverseize. It takes a good hammer type hub puller to pull the rear hub/drum assy's off but they hold up pretty well. Unless you're going to run mega horsepower through it, the keyways hold up fine. It just takes a bit more time to inspect the rear brakes. The only other trouble areas with that rear is if you decide to install another 3rd member. If its a sure grip, you need to use another early sure grip to replace it with or you'll need longer axles. The end play adjustment is done with shims instead of a threaded bearing retainer. The length of the axle are about 1/8" different between a sure grip type and a non-sure grip. You'd have to add or subtract length to the axle shafts depending on what you have and what you want in the way of a 3rd member. If it's good, cheap, and a bolt-in, use it! If you have to do much to it to make it work, find a more modern one that is a little easier to work with.
Is that panel truck being parted out?

The earlier posts are correct that the ring and pinion and internals can be swapped into a later 741 case. Also, as a chunk it can be installed into any 8 3/4 housing. The quickest way to get it out is to cut the axle tubes with a torch, remove the axles (and cut tubes) without worrying about the large drum retaining nut, and throw everything but the chunk on the scrap pile!

-
Back