Help ID this part!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My buddy got a 1980 f250 with a 351m the other day. The truck needs a tune up but we have a part that isn't hooked up and I have no idea what it is. Figured someone on here would know.

ED3A33E3-EB57-4E84-B395-EA037CAB728C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

07DDAF22-772C-4055-8514-3F9B2644C540_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If your looking at the motor from the front of the truck it's top left. Thank you!

frederick_76 nailed it. A freakin' air pump - part of early attempts at smog control. Not needed. MOPAR ones had hard lines going to the back of the exhaust manifold and added more air to the exhaust in attempts to "water down" the emissions. I heard that those could damage the valves if the air pump was unhooked and the piping was left intact. Not sure this was the truth or not. I always tapped them out and put pipe plugs in them.

So if we take the rubber hose off that goes from the intake to the smog pump we should just plug it?

I had that exact truck for a few years, got it new. What I remember most about it was that the MPG's really sucked. 12-13 mpg as I recall. I hope you got either the 35 gallon tank or the dual tanks..

...and yes, that's a smog pump, and if you disconnect any hoses from the engine, the should be plugged. You might want to check your mileage with and without that pump hooked up, though.

Luke, that's a smog pump. It basically sent compressed air down to the cat to help burn off emissions.
Mopar used them briefly and got away from them quickly.
As you can see, someone all ready cut the belt, that muffler on top was probably making one hell of a noise. Leave it, take it off, don't really matter. It's not eating much. But if you do take it off, plug the holes!
It's a ton easier to let them be and cut the belts.

And I guarenty if it has the belt off it its seized up. MT

Smog pump.

As I recall my parents 66 galaxy 390 had one. Smog pumps inject air to ports in the exhaust manifold or into the heads themselves. These date back to pre cat days. I think CA had them first. But they definitely were on engines before CATS showed up. The idea is to blow air at the hot exhaust to burn unburned hydrocarbons.

I had that exact truck for a few years, got it new. What I remember most about it was that the MPG's really sucked. 12-13 mpg as I recall. I hope you got either the 35 gallon tank or the dual tanks..

...and yes, that's a smog pump, and if you disconnect any hoses from the engine, the should be plugged. You might want to check your mileage with and without that pump hooked up, though.

This is just a beater and practice truck to learn body work so mpg isn't a big concern. We got the car Saturday and today we are just getting rid of all the crap we do not need. I love the look of this truck though.

Luke, that's a smog pump. It basically sent compressed air down to the cat to help burn off emissions.
Mopar used them briefly and got away from them quickly.
As you can see, someone all ready cut the belt, that muffler on top was probably making one hell of a noise. Leave it, take it off, don't really matter. It's not eating much. But if you do take it off, plug the holes!
It's a ton easier to let them be and cut the belts.

It's getting a new exhaust so the cats will be going to the scrapyard anyways.

I got one off an 1981 bronco with a 351

It was removed when the truck was new and stayed in the barn for years. Took it to swap meet and it is in a pile outside the barn now

Emissions pump was common to block off and remove them. Doubt it helped anything

The bronco that my pump came off of go 8 mpg, my 85 bronco got 8-11 mpg, had 79 short bed got 9 mpg on gas 6 mpg on propane

Leave it on remove it and block it off, not a problem unless you have emissions testing in your area

-
Back