Help identify metal parts under valve covers in x heads

-

cdsilks

Reaction score
I found these under my valve cover when I pulled it from my 69 340 with x heads. Are they some sort of valve lock and how serious is this? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 377
Are they machined on both ends? They don't look tapered so I would say they aren't valve keepers. Looks like sort of a valve guide part but that is only a guess. Someone will weigh in and give more details.

Was that a running engine at the time you pulled the covers?

Ok. your right, looks like pieces of a knurled guide.

Yes it was running fine and they are machined at both ends. That seems to be the actual height of the part.

Maybe they are old valve spring keepers that someone who changed springs before you left behind. If all the springs are still intact and it's runnin' ok i would just clean everything out good and seal it back up.

Was there a specific reason you pulled the valve covers in the first place?

The more i look it still looks like a knurled guide.....idk

............looks like a valve guide thats been knurled....prolly the top of the guide casting is broke off under the spring...kim.......

Maybe they are old valve spring keepers that someone who changed springs before you left behind. If all the springs are still intact and it's runnin' ok i would just clean everything out good and seal it back up.

Was there a specific reason you pulled the valve covers in the first place?

Just changing the gaskets.

a dime and parts of a valve guide....or two...what do I win??
I found these under my valve cover when I pulled it from my 69 340 with x heads. Are they some sort of valve lock and how serious is this? Thanks for any help.

They look like keepers or valve guides. I would have them checked out by a GOOD head guy. If that lets go, it can take out your block and heads. Better safe than sorry.

If you fix it now, it should be ok. If you don't fix it, it can take out the whole engine.

They look like keepers or valve guides. I would have them checked out by a GOOD head guy. If that lets go, it can take out your block and heads. Better safe than sorry.

If you fix it now, it should be ok. If you don't fix it, it can take out the whole engine.

Yes good call. I will pull the head I think and take it in.

Knurled guides are basically a temporary fix. It's like running a tap thru the guides to raise the metal and tighten the valves. If your not burning oil and your seals are good there may be a little life left in it. Alot of people install bronze guides, but i always use the proper replacement iron guides if it's basically a mild street engine.

Love your avatar:)

Some machine shops leave the shell of the original valve guide in the head after they install new guides. I have never liked doing that or done it that way. When I replace guides that are original to the head, I always mill the guide flush with the spring seat, bore the original guide out and press the new one in. There are plenty of seals the right size that'll press right over the replacement guide.

Some machine shops leave the shell of the original valve guide in the head after they install new guides. I have never liked doing that or done it that way. When I replace guides that are original to the head, I always mill the guide flush with the spring seat, bore the original guide out and press the new one in. There are plenty of seals the right size that'll press right over the replacement guide.

That is exectly what it looks like to me. Well, except for the dime.

-
Back