Help identifying valvebody?

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Disassembled some of my 727 today for two reasons- first I really want to understand how it works and secondly because I didn’t feel my car shifted as firm as it should, so I thought I would try my hand at adjusting bands. While I have it open I’m going to install Billet servos, struts, accumulator and a CRT RMVB with low band apply (which I currently didn’t have).

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. Car had a reverse manual VB in it, and everyone said that should be snappy shifting, but I really wasn’t feeling it. Kim inquired if it had a transbrake, and while the previous owner told me it did at one point (it was parked for a really long time) I didn’t know if it still had a TB VB or no, so I popped it open. To be 100% honest, this is my first time dropping a VB and I don’t really know what I’m looking at. I snapped a few pictures of the markings, anyone know what this is?

84DC0B5A-E503-4086-B997-E5F795D3A53A.jpeg

832C4CC4-A6EF-4327-8549-DBF7869F38EE.jpeg

Hi everybody. Disassembled some of my 727 today for two reasons- first I really want to understand how it works and secondly because I didn’t feel my car shifted as firm as it should, so I thought I would try my hand at adjusting bands. While I have it open I’m going to install Billet servos, struts, accumulator and a CRT RMVB with low band apply (which I currently didn’t have).

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. Car had a reverse manual VB in it, and everyone said that should be snappy shifting, but I really wasn’t feeling it. Kim inquired if it had a transbrake, and while the previous owner told me it did at one point (it was parked for a really long time) I didn’t know if it still had a TB VB or no, so I popped it open. To be 100% honest, this is my first time dropping a VB and I don’t really know what I’m looking at. I snapped a few pictures of the markings, anyone know what this is?

View attachment 1715413431

View attachment 1715413432
I just glanced in Summit book 17156 is a Turbo Action doesn't say it has a trans brake, just reverse pattern and full manual shifting. -Jed.

Ok, just checked it out on Turbo Actions site- looks like a Cheetah Competition Manual. Can’t find a reference 87045 on there. Maybe a lot number?

You can also drill the separator plate to speed up the fluid flow to the clutches and band to firm up the shifts.
There are specific holes for 2nd and 3rd fluid supply, and the Transgo shift kits show which holes they are as I'm sure other kits do as well.

I’ll work on it tonight and see if the bands are way out of adjustment. I wanted a VB with low band for street driving anyway so I’m going to install my CRT VB, but it’s nice to know what was in there was a quality one.

Do all three of yours have the kickdown shaft sticking up like his? If it's not cut off I'd try hooking it up. A full manual that uses a kd is for daily drivers who don't want the hard shift just cruising.

Turbo Action...the Serial number ...87045......build in 1987.....45 unit that year......no transbrake..

Turbo Action...the Serial number ...87045......build in 1987.....45 unit that year......no transbrake..

I just found the box my Turbo-Action #17156 came in. They do indeed have a serial number; mine is 2000 vintage, 477th unit built that year, no transbrake, full manual reverse pattern, marked "POSITIVELY NOT FOR STREET USE" right on the box.

I just found the box my Turbo-Action #17156 came in. They do indeed have a serial number; mine is 2000 vintage, 477th unit built that year, no transbrake, full manual reverse pattern, marked "POSITIVELY NOT FOR STREET USE" right on the box.

the not for Street use is a disclaimer.....got one in my 73 340 duster....street driven.....
Serial number 830340.....paid 69 dollars for it back in 83....lol

Do all three of yours have the kickdown shaft sticking up like his? If it's not cut off I'd try hooking it up. A full manual that uses a kd is for daily drivers who don't want the hard shift just cruising.
Every T/A 17156 I've seen had the KD shaft but the valve is disabled so it does nothing to hook it up

This thread is long on opinions but short on facts. Could the op tell us if the kd shaft moves a valve when it's twisted counter-clockwise, please?

This thread is long on opinions but short on facts. Could the op tell us if the kd shaft moves a valve when it's twisted counter-clockwise, please?

That's not my opinion. I have seen it with my eyes. You can also read it here in the PDF for this valvebody, if you trust T/A themselves, lol... Refer to installation step #12 and you'll see it says to remove all linkage to the carburetor. If it did anything why would you need to remove the linkage

https://www.turboaction.com/17156.pdf

In figure #6 you can see that the arm of the kd shaft has been cut off. That means that the kd shaft will just spin and not activate a valve. And the op's is most likely as the pic. But what if it isn't? The complaint is a soft shift. Why is there a soft shift? Did somebody modify this valve body? I don't care how things come from factories because I've seen too many transmissions assembled too many crazy ways. So: the story will end when the problem is solved; not before.

I'm saying there's a shifting problem. If you know what's causing it then speak right up. Otherwise I figure there's a problem in the valve body since both shifts are soft. Either TA screwed up, or this one requires a kickdown, or somebody changed something internally and that messed it up or made it require a kd linkage. I know if I had one that I would try to change it to shift softer at part throttle like the tf-3 kit.

-
Back