Help identifying

-

wsmith

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a "1970" Plymouth Duster. This comes from the vin tag thats seems to have been changed when the dash was done. So far under the package tray I found a G6 VIN code saying this is a 1966. I'm trying to update the engine wiring and need some help identifying this bulkhead connector.

Here's the Bulkead:

eafve59.jpg

what does the rest of the car look like? No Dusters in '66.

Looks like a 1972 Demon to me. It has the '72 and up side markers and a Dart front end. Could still be a Duster converted over to look like a Demon, but it's not a '70. And it's definitely not a '66.

That's a 73 up rear end to a duster. The front clip was swapped out with a Dart to clone a Demon. Nothing special, just different.

The funny thing is that that's exactly what the guy that sold it to me said. The front was swapped with a demon/dart front end and the rear lights were from a newer year. Does that sound about right?

OK the latest free shop manual you can download "complete" is a 73, over at MyMopar, and by that way, that manual, and several others "over there" actually came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

HOWEVER you can download the 76 wiring which I scanned, here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981&page=2

This post

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1971011878&postcount=40

The quality ain't all that great but I think you can read it. The connector is about page 7

That is the engine side of the connector, same as you are looking at yours

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 215
Tail lights and rear bumper says it's a '74+ Duster. Front fenders are from a '72 Dart.

What's the VIN? The first 7 digits would suffice if you don't want to post the whole thing. I take it the one on the dash is different from the partial on the package tray then?

Tail lights and rear bumper says it's a '74+ Duster. Front fenders are from a '72 Dart.

What's the VIN? The first 7 digits would suffice if you don't want to post the whole thing. I take it the one on the dash is different from the partial on the package tray then?

VL29G0B333919 Is the VIN thats on the dash. It is different from the rear package.

OK the latest free shop manual you can download "complete" is a 73, over at MyMopar, and by that way, that manual, and several others "over there" actually came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

HOWEVER you can download the 76 wiring which I scanned, here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981&page=2

This post

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1971011878&postcount=40

The quality ain't all that great but I think you can read it. The connector is about page 7

That is the engine side of the connector, same as you are looking at yours

Now that looks like what I have in the engine bay!

g6 22242t

Hmmm.

Well, in that case the 6 would indicate that it's a '76. The "G" is the plant code, so St. Louis. The "6" is the year, 1976. The next six should all be numbers, that's the sequence code. So that last digit should be a number, not "t".

Your dash VIN belongs to a 1970 Duster with a 318 built at the Hamtramck, MI plant. And your partial package tray VIN belongs to a 1976 Duster built in St. Louis.

Not so good. Does the partial VIN on the radiator support match the package tray? What does the title say?

Hmmm.

Well, in that case the 6 would indicate that it's a '76. The "G" is the plant code, so St. Louis. The "6" is the year, 1976. The next six should all be numbers, that's the sequence code. So that last digit should be a number, not "t".

Your dash VIN belongs to a 1970 Duster with a 318 built at the Hamtramck, MI plant. And your partial package tray VIN belongs to a 1976 Duster built in St. Louis.

Not so good. Does the partial VIN on the radiator support match the package tray? What does the title say?

I cant even read whats on the rad support. It's way too faint of a stamp. No title on this car.

Edit: The previous owner had it registered under the dash vin. He wasnt a car guy.

I cant even read whats on the rad support. It's way too faint of a stamp. No title on this car.

Edit: The previous owner had it registered under the dash vin. He wasnt a car guy.

Yikes. #-o Well, hopefully you don't need a title, because that whole thing sounds very sketchy from a legal standpoint.

I would say that you have a 1976 Duster with a 1972 Dart front end that was intended to be a '72 Demon clone/tribute. Nothing wrong with that, but if you represent it as '72 Demon for the purpose of selling it there should be a nice spot in Hell for you. And the title, should you ever need it, could definitely be a problem. Swapping VIN tags is a felony.

Yikes. #-o Well, hopefully you don't need a title, because that whole thing sounds very sketchy from a legal standpoint.

I would say that you have a 1976 Duster with a 1972 Dart front end that was intended to be a '72 Demon clone/tribute. Nothing wrong with that, but if you represent it as '72 Demon for the purpose of selling it there should be a nice spot in Hell for you. And the title, should you ever need it, could definitely be a problem. Swapping VIN tags is a felony.

Like I said the seller wasnt a car guy so he wouldnt even know it wasnt a 1970 duster. No big deal to me. It's been registered before under him and I have a bill of sale for it so it's a 1970 Duster for all intents and purposes.

Like I said the seller wasnt a car guy so he wouldnt even know it wasnt a 1970 duster. No big deal to me. It's been registered before under him and I have a bill of sale for it so it's a 1970 Duster for all intents and purposes.

Until someone realizes it's actually a MUCH less valuable 1976 Duster. Representing it as a '70 would add thousands of dollars to a potential sale or even a potential insurance settlement. That is what you call fraud. I would be very careful calling it a '70. Anyone that knows anything about Mopars can tell it isn't a '70 very easily.

Until someone realizes it's actually a MUCH less valuable 1976 Duster. Representing it as a '70 would add thousands of dollars to a potential sale or even a potential insurance settlement. That is what you call fraud. I would be very careful calling it a '70. Anyone that knows anything about Mopars can tell it isn't a '70 very easily.

I'd never resell it as anything it isnt. I'd make sure to say what it is and tell it all up front.

Do you guys know of a place to get a wiring harness for it or am I stuck tearing it all out and redoing it?

-
Back