HELP, ignition switch...

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I'm replacing the stock ignition switch in the 73 and cam upon this.

The one on the right is the new one and the culprit that is screwing the whole thing up is the little black wire on the right of the big brown wire.

Photo0192.jpg

Photo0193.jpg

Do I just cut it off the switch and put the 2 red and orange wires back in the stock place or do I have to splice things together? I need the car running tonight before bed so I can goto work in the morning!

Anyone have any idea? It's one thing after another. The dist. went out and I coasted into the auto parts store parking lot, got it home then the ignition switch went out, in the mean time I replaced the starter relay and now the new realy is dead (ground it and the car turns over, but now I am getting no spark to the coil. I am starting to hate the dart, good thing we just got the truck because the dart may end up going bye bye soon! :angry7:

Trace it down, and if not needed, pull it off. Ignition 1 and 2 is all you need to run.

put the orange in to match up with the orange one in the original harness

The original little black wire went to the column shift indicater if so equiped. None of the switches actually had a wire on the 5th contact. Evidently the Chineese felt ther must be a wire there so they added one.
Atleast the only problem it causes is a blown fuse. Hope this helps

Thanks guys, I just took it out of the plug and put the others where they went originally. Put it all back together and now the horns wont shut of lol :cheers::angry7:

Actually , I think the wire that sends a ground signal to the horn relay is also black but... It is in the turn signal switch harness connecter. That horn blowing problem must be in the column / switch. Something not put back together just right at the top.
I went though the same ( correct a new part ) thing with my ignition switch a year ago. Good luck

-
Back