Help installing instrument panel back in

-

70dart318

Reaction score
I'm trying to re install my instrument panel. Problem I'm having is getting it in lol. I lowered the steering wheel and that helped but still can't get it in. I want the bottom part to go in first then push it into the speedometer cable them push the top in? But I can't get the bottom up in it with out the top of it hitting the steering wheel. Even with It Lowered down. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!

I'm assuming (by your handle) that it's a 70 Dart you're working on?
I have the same cluster in my '67, and I thought it went in easier than it came out. Did you unbolt the column where it goes thru the firewall? Doing so lets you drop the column a bit more & gives you a little more room to work the cluster in. Other than that, just get the bottom in first, hook up the 2 connectors & ammeter and it should slide right in.
Save the speedo cable for after it's in place. Be careful not to knock out any of the bulbs.

Yup it's a 70 318 dart lol. I didn't take the cluster out...it was out when I bought the car. I unbolted the plate at the bottom of steering column...the plate with 2 bolts. Should I unbolt the other plate behind the first one..the one with 3 bolts?

Yup it's a 70 318 dart lol. I didn't take the cluster out...it was out when I bought the car. I unbolted the plate at the bottom of steering column...the plate with 2 bolts. Should I unbolt the other plate behind the first one..the one with 3 bolts?

Yup.

Everyone does things differently. Me... I reach under the car and set the speedo cable free from a sheet metal tab retainer. Then I pull excess cable into the cabin. That cable is about the last thing disconnected at removal and the first thing reattached at install. Its stiffness serves as a helping hand.
Majority of my experience is with the rallye panel. That rally doesn't make a difference though.
The rally panel and others have harness connector pins very close to the top edge. Tilting the panel is what breaks these pins. I know the factory service manual states pull the panel outward and tilt it. They don't state how far to pull it out before tilting or how to get slack in the speedo cable or the wiring harness. There is a way to get slack in the wiring too. The harness is strapped to the steering column support and clipped in the firewall. If I need to separate the bulkhead connections and pull the male out of the firewall, I will.
Bottom line... pretty much reverse of how it was put together on the assembly line works best for me regardless of what the service manual states. Feck laying in the floor.

-
Back