Help!!!! Is This Good Deal?

-

indy909

Reaction score
Hey i found this rear end on craigslist. Is it a good deal to replace my 7 1/4 2.73 in my 72 scamp mild 318 car, and will it be direct replacement or will there need to be some modification.

Large bolt pattern (5 X 4 1/2) A-Body 8 1/4 rear end. Open diff, I think the gears are 3.23. Drum-to-drum. I also have the springs and rear hangers. $150 OBO.

Any info will help as i am a mopar fan in training....... Thanks
Ian

That seems like a good deal for a complete rear. 8 1/4 should hold up well behind your engine. You will need u-bolts and I believe shock plates are different also. I'm thinking that 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 share the same size plates but not 100% on that.

If he still has it go get it. The U-bolts can be bought at most parts stores, the 8 3/4 and 8 1/4 shock plates are the same. You will need to get a shorter drive shaft there is a difference of 1.6".

Yup, open means non posi or non sure grip if you are one of the anally retentive mopar only hard core mofos.

Where can i aquire some shock plates? Think junk yard or local mopar rip off man?

I traded a carter HP fuel pump for mine to a member here. Just post an ad in the wanted section and see what comes up, see if you have something to trade for a pair. I wouldn't pay more than 30 or 40 bucks for a pair.

It's a good price and probably worth the effort to change if you intend to change the front to large bolt pattern . Maybe you did that already, dunno.
The drive shaft difference and U-bolt difference has been mentioned. I'll add mention of speedometer gear ratio change and you would need 2 spare tires if this is your daily commuter car.
I bought the same 8.25 rear not long ago. When it's all done I'll have about 300 in it.

I got my shock plates from the local Dodge dealer. Dirt cheap iirc.

I just called the guy and im going to pick it up tomorrow:) He is throwing in the u bolts and springs. Hes an hour and a half from me but he sounds nice and told me about the different bolt pattern and driveshaft length. Hopefully everything goes ok and ill post some pics tomorrow after i get home. Thanks to everyone for the imput.

U bolts can also be had at any spring shop. The 8 1/4 is more than strong enough for a 318!! Hey I have some 11"rear brakes for an 8 1/4 from my M body cop car!

If you want to reuse the U-bolts, go for it. Lots of guys have. Really not supposed to though. The linear twist that occurs when removing those scored nuts drasticly weakens the steel. This according to those egghead engineers. Good luck with it.

Went and picked it up and apparently it is from a 74 duster with a 340 and a 904. So hopefully it will bolt right in. Included in the deal was the whole assembly and springs and brackets, new ubolts, and the correct length driveshaft. So my next mission is looking for some new rims and a posi setup!! No more weak peg legged burnouts for this ol scamp.....

Went and picked it up and apparently it is from a 74 duster with a 340 and a 904. So hopefully it will bolt right in. Included in the deal was the whole assembly and springs and brackets, new ubolts, and the correct length driveshaft. So my next mission is looking for some new rims and a posi setup!! No more weak peg legged burnouts for this ol scamp.....

you got one heck of a score! There's one of those rears up in Was on CL for 250! without all the extras.....

-
Back