HELP>>KMJ Harmonic Balancer problem..

-

w2360Duster

No Patience
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of the units on a 70 and up SB? I bought the SFI rated SB internal balance balancer and have one or 2 problems.

1st, its thicker than stock the darn thing has already contacted the cast-in timing indicater and i have ground a good 3/8" of it and the balancer is already contacting it again and it looks like it could go more........

#2 beacuse i have no idea where its going to bottom out my pulley alignment is off a about 1/4" .

What should i do? grind more off the cover and get out the JB Weld? because i already have opened a hole as it is. And keep running it down.

Any help , if i keep going im NOT going to have a timing indicator. But i dont want belt alignment issues or the blancer to cause any internal engine problems. I can supply pics in the morning if needed.

Do not keep grinding your cover down,,,,get the correct balancer,i have used the summit brand with good results.

Kinda sounds like the snout was made too short. Do you have the stock one to lay it against and see how much diff there is? Last year when I set out to buy a new balancer I noticed some were different thicknesses from stock. I ended up getting one from Hughes Engines and it's the same dimensions as stock.

Has anyone used one of the units on a 70 and up SB? I bought the SFI rated SB internal balance balancer and have one or 2 problems.

1st, its thicker than stock the darn thing has already contacted the cast-in timing indicater and i have ground a good 3/8" of it and the balancer is already contacting it again and it looks like it could go more........

#2 beacuse i have no idea where its going to bottom out my pulley alignment is off a about 1/4" .

What should i do? grind more off the cover and get out the JB Weld? because i already have opened a hole as it is. And keep running it down.

Any help , if i keep going im NOT going to have a timing indicator. But i dont want belt alignment issues or the blancer to cause any internal engine problems. I can supply pics in the morning if needed.

I had just the opposite problem. I also used the summit brand with good results. I had originally bought one from Hughes but it would not fit on the front of the crank, then after I had the machinist at work open up the balancer where it goes over the snout on the crank, it was 3/8-1/2" longer than it needed to be to line up the pulleys. Hughes said they had not heard of this issue???? Crank was a SKAT.

-
Back