Help Leaking Cowl

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Guys,

My Cowl is leaking so bad. We poored water in it and it just poored into my interior. What seal is bad how to i get to it and where can i get a new one.

Thanks

Where is it pouring in at? Wiper pivots, or the vents on the sides?

Sorry should have been more spefic. Its a 74 duster and its leaking through the vents on top of the car. It does drain down out of the car but half of it ends up in the car.

Look up under your dash and see if the cowl is rusted thru. Could also be your wiper pivots.

I looked at it and its not rusted through and there are no holes in it

Is the water entering the inside of the car through the cowl vents under the dash (you know the vents on the left and ride side with the doors), or from somewhere else?

The vent box is drawn up to the dash with what could be described as an upside down battery retainer J bolt. It has a preset thread length so tightening wont help. Above that is a large foam seal ring. It rots away. Wiper pivot seal may leak but not poor heavily as you describe.
Drop the glove box and check it out. I aint always right.
The driver side vent box is a completely different assembly from hardware to seal. These fail too but not as often or severely.
Detroit Muscle Technologies has the seal for the right vent box , 5 dollars.
Hope this helps

I agree, check the vent box seals. You might have to pull the dash. There might be a rust hole that's not obvious. Have someone use a garden hose on it while you look under the dash for the leak. That much water should be easy to see.

It's also possible that the raised ring in the cowl has rusted away. This allows air to come in but not water. Located where the vent boxes bolt up.

-
Back