Help me choose

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a bigger air compressor to keep up with my blast cabinet, and eventually want to be able to paint. I have 220 available in my shop, so that isn't an issue. I know the rule of thumb for compressors is cfm at 90psi. I am just not sure which one of these would suit me best. Obviously the Ingresoll Rand would be anyones choice, but its over twice the cost. I don't do a lot, but want it available when I need it. Can anyone weigh in?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54284-1126-VT6362_0__?productId=3370356

60 gallon
3.7 HP
11.5 cfm @90psi
75% duty cycle

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200318461_200318461

60 Gallon
5HP
14.3 Cfm @90
100% duty cycle

I think you'd be alright with the kobalt for paint, unless you were tring to do a big job. Even a complete car minus front clip would be pushing that compressor and tank past its limit. If you have another tank that's in good condition (not rusty inside!) then you can extend your capability somewhat by piggybacking the second tank in line.

I would say get one with the best warranty. I had the kobalt did great. 5 plus years before I sold it Stuggled with a ton of grinding but painted well. My buddy jad the ingersol, died within a year, not sure why. I you are going to do a lot of grindingor painting get the double expansion or an extra tank.

Thanks guys. I am not sure if adding an extra tank will solve the problem. I was more concerned with the CFM rating on the Kobalt. Just wondering if its high enough for the gun.

Will the Kobalt be able to keep up, if I wanted to paint the car in one pass?

I have the Lowes 80 gallon/7.5 hp. Have had it for 11 years. I run die grinders, paint guns, cut off tools etc. It does everything I need it to. Buy the biggest one you can afford. You will be grateful later when you don't have to wait around for it to pump up.

what I have found is tools like the D A sander, straight line air file, these take a lot of air. body shops use large compressors for a reason.
if $$ wasn't a big issue, I would get as large a compressor as affordable, for sake of running sanders. a gravity feeed gun or especially a HVLP gun isn't gonna tax any decent twin cyl compressor at all.
i'm not expert but that's my opinion.
me, I always rather have too much than not enough of anything. Horsepower could be an example!! LOL

I have the Lowes 80 gallon/7.5 hp. Have had it for 11 years. I run die grinders, paint guns, cut off tools etc. It does everything I need it to. Buy the biggest one you can afford. You will be grateful later when you don't have to wait around for it to pump up.

X2

I wish I would have bought a 7.5. I have an IR 5hp 80Gal. and grinders and da's really give it a work out. It's 5 y/o without issue.

Buy the largest you can afford, lack of cycle time and overheating seems to be what kills compressors.

I have had this one for a few years and it works great for me, Paint, air tools, blower, probably has 500 hours on it. Just change the oil every year. Nice to have 150 psi some times. Yeah I know HF bought it on a whim, but works great and a new 2 stage compressor is under 200! Fairly quiet also. Get a good pressure gauge and regulator, the one that comes with it is noso good! One recommendation is to plumb the shop with hard lines and ports, one of my winter projects this year. I hate tripping over hoses. My buddy used schedule 40 PVC pipe in his auto shop with no problems.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...n-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-55391.html

I agree with what everyone is saying. I want only have to buy this once, but don't want to go overkill either.

Does anyone know the average cfm rating of an HVLP spray gun? Having a hard time finding that information.

Thanks.

dont buy one for just using it to paint buy a 2 stage 7.5 hp and it will do blasting or anything else you want or you will be getting a bigger one later like i did

I think you should keep looking and saving! I was a production painter and also did completes for 20+ years. I would'nt use a compressor with less than 20cfm @90psi. When and if you paint metallics you don't want any kind of changes is crm, or psi! Just my opinion. And the 80 gallon is the size I use currently.

I think you should keep looking and saving! I was a production painter and also did completes for 20+ years. I would'nt use a compressor with less than 20cfm @90psi. When and if you paint metallics you don't want any kind of changes is crm, or psi! Just my opinion. And the 80 gallon is the size I use currently.

20 cfm!? I can't find a compressor with those specs for less than 2k. I can't afford that much.

I found some on craigslist a while ago when looking for a buddy. Mines 10 horse, two stage 220. We always have good luck looking for body shops, or automotive shops going out of business or just upgrading. Another couple of buddies got ahold of some rotory screw comps, that just needed to be changed over to 220 instead of three phase. They found those when a hospital up here in Washington was changing them over.

I found some on craigslist a while ago when looking for a buddy. Mines 10 horse, two stage 220. We always have good luck looking for body shops, or automotive shops going out of business or just upgrading. Another couple of buddies got ahold of some rotory screw comps, that just needed to be changed over to 220 instead of three phase. They found those when a hospital up here in Washington was changing them over.

You have better luck than I do. I have been scouring CL for over a year now. All I find is overpriced garbage. Like craftsman oil less compressor. People down here think everything is gold. Asking like $500 for a unit that is 110 single stage. Yea right.

That's why I decided to just go new and be done with it.

I can probably get somebody a real steal on a pair of compressors we have for sale at work.. You'll have no problem sandblasting anything-no matter the size or how long it will take. Wanna paint your Car? Bus? Locomotive? Jumbo Jet? all at the same time?
No problem for you now!
For your consideration-2) circa 1961 JOY recip. compressors. 2000cfm (each) @ 110 psi
350 hp G.E. motors' 375 amps @ 480 Volts, roof mounted cooling tower. Yes I'm kidding about selling these here & Yes,these are really for sale in the industrial news papers.

I think you're right. I found a HVLP spray gun set at my local automotive paint store and the cfm rating is 7-9 @15-45psi.

After all my research I think I am going to go with this one: Its a 2 stage; 80 Gallon. It has 15.8 fm @90.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ingersoll-randreg;-5hp-air-compressor-80-gal

The sale ends on 12/27. I can have it shipped from their site for $117 and I avoid Sales Tax.

Keep watching tractor supply, they have had that same compressor reduced more than that since Thanksgiving.
A week ago it was $799 at my local store.
This week it may be $999 they bounce the price all over the place in price with their products.
Keep in mind all box stores will be dumping there inventory before the 1st of January to avoid taxes they have to pay on inventory. Keep a close eye on your local store they are trying to make as much money as they can before Christmas, and will unload the remaining inventory after Christmas until the end of the year.

I bought an Eaton compressor (22.3cfm @90psi now upgraded on their site to 24CFM)$450.00
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/518643/6414555.htm
and then a Baldor motor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TKGIJ6/?tag=joeychgo-20
689.00 on amazon but I think I only paid 528.00 at another site AND free shipping (gotta look around)
to supply my horizontal 80 gallon air tank I bought off of Craigslist. $100.00

yeah it was a bit over my budget for a total of 1270.00 with buying all the pulleys and pipes to connect it (I was trying to keep it around a grand). but for the performance it can't be beat now I have it plumbed to 2 80 gallon tanks so blasting is easier. Next up is replacing all the 2 foot PVC line to rubber. with 1 inch metal lines with extra drops throughout my garage.

Don't forget, on top of the compressor you will need to buy a water and oil separator. Spend a little bit of money an one of these! If you don't want to see little blisters, peeling paint or surface rust on the parts you are working on. You can find really good ones at your local paint supply shop, or online like Autobody depot. You can usually save some money online, but I like to deal with an actual person that can give me insight when needed. The one I have is a Devillbis DAD500, when I bought it they were $400 now they are about $900. It's pretty nice, but you can find one cheaper than that. Just remember if you buy a low dollar compressor it WILL over work its self, never catch up, create a lot of condensation and make you all around unhappy. Keep your eyes on craigslist! You will find the one you need.

I have a Quincy 5hp 2-stage with a 80gal. tank. It has run trouble free for almost 20 years. Regular oil and ail filter changes with regular draining of water from tank have been all that has been needed.

A couple of things that I want to offer. PLEASE check the duty cycle for the unit. No matter the size of the tank, you don't want the motor and pump running too long at a time. If at all possible get a cast iron pump or at least iron cylinders. Check the speed of the motor. If I remember right the speed for a good quality motor is about 1700-1800 RPM. Spend the extra and get an automatic tank drain. We got to the point we would figure one in as part of the unit. Never had a customer complain about not having to worry or trying to remember to drain the tank.

People can say what they want but I've luck with Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...n-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html I know it's Chinese but I've bought several tools and own a 21 gal compressor. The first one I bought crapped in a month. They took it back, no questions asked and replaced it on the spot. The 2nd one I've had for 6 years and have never had a problem with it and I've used the crap out of it. Everything I've ever bought from them was replaced on the spot within the warranty period. If not that one, I'd go with the IR from Tractor Supply.

-
Back