Help me decide - which air cleaner ?

-
i like the look of your stock one the best but which ever one you choose make sure your throttle linkage clears without binding i had to put a spacer on mine

Now you're really confusing me :banghead:

That stock air cleaner was originally black on the bottom and orange on top. That's why its still like that.

Never seen a 2-tone cleaner before....

What I meant was that the base has original black paint on it and the top has orange. They were never painted since new.
I guess it's a "mix and match" set up that was put together at some time before I owned it. I got the car off the original owner so I'll track him down and ask were they came from. Got me wondering now ???

i like the look of your stock one the best but which ever one you choose make sure your throttle linkage clears without binding i had to put a spacer on mine

Thanks for the heads up, I have tried it and no problem, the throttle certainly opens all the way up. Just ask my neighbors LOL

Ill break with the masses and say this one
ctr-65-600_w.jpg

I know its not one of the choices, but with those valve covers, its a nice match without saying edelbrock on it...

Here's another vote for stock. As long as you've got enough snorkel cross-sectional area to equal or exceed the total cross-sectional area of the carburetor's venturis, you'll have no restriction. The snorkel type air cleaner is a much better deal for driveability and performance; you get warm air til the carb's warmed up, then you get cool air. Those open-element air cleaners suck up barbecue-hot engine air all the time. They sound meaner, but that's their only advantage.

Here's another vote for stock. As long as you've got enough snorkel cross-sectional area to equal or exceed the total cross-sectional area of the carburetor's venturis, you'll have no restriction. The snorkel type air cleaner is a much better deal for driveability and performance; you get warm air til the carb's warmed up, then you get cool air. Those open-element air cleaners suck up barbecue-hot engine air all the time. They sound meaner, but that's their only advantage.

The stock one doesn't have any snorkels on it, never did. There are just two oval openings with a thin metal baffle just inside each one.
I think this is the one that came on the 1970 340.
The previous owner must have used the stock 360 4bbl top that was orange on the 340 black bottom.
Sound possible ??

Even so, it does get lots of positive comments. Maybe I'm on to something here :thumbup:

-
Back