Help me decide

-

amzchad

Reaction score
Ok well i found these cars and these are my choices as of now. help me figure out what i should get.

1973 dodge dart swinger, 318, rebuilt 727 automatic, power steering, power brakes, new radiator, new steering box, new alternator, a/c needs to be charged, runs good needs some work $2000

1972 dodge dart swinger Runs and drives, 318, AT, A/C, P/S, Power Disc Brakes, interior in great shape, seats and door panels are redone. looks like new. 8 3/4 The body is straight but has some rust in the usual places. You can drive it like it is. $2500 This car has some pretty bad rust issues i can post those pictures to.

1974 Dodge Dart Swinger 318
Runs nice, Rebuilt transmission (904). Clean body with minimal rust. Needs interior work.
Fun car to drive. Clean title.

3nc3mb3ocZZZZZZZZZ96mfde0ce062a4f18f9.jpg

3n63m23odZZZZZZZZZ96q542fb169b6861a2c.jpg

3mf3o63p6ZZZZZZZZZ96q184fcc39db8b1c86.jpg

3nd3o93p5ZZZZZZZZZ96q5632084e8726190b.jpg

IMG00125-20090629-1206.jpg

IMG00126-20090629-1206.jpg

IMG00129-20090629-1207.jpg

IMG00131-20090629-1207.jpg

3m23p43l5ZZZZZZZZZ96h1916f02c17721a6c.jpg

3n13o23l2ZZZZZZZZZ96hf971f3c5a2c11b13.jpg

Dang! It's a toss up between the '72 and '73. Which body style do you prefer?

I would get the 72. I think they look better and that one has some goodies.

Good luck and keep us posted.:cheers:

I know. I am leaning toward the '72 based on the pics of the interior...but the rust.

Unless you know how to do body work ,(rust repair) or have a good friend that does, I'd go for the one with the least amount of body issues. everything else is just nuts & bolts.

ya it came from the bay area thats why its rusted
thats the only downside

i dont know much about it but i would plan on fixing it first and painting it myself i have painted a few cars but not much body work i am willing to learn though it is just really bad

just said that 2300 is the lowest he will go

thats the rust in the pictures
i am yet to see it in person
i think iwill be seeing it in person here soon though

I would go for the 72 but only because I realy like that body style. If you think you are up to doing body work go for that one. If your not then pick the one with the least amount of body work needed. What auto does the 72 have?

but i like the 72 front end so much more

everything else is perfect on the car in my book
great interior
318 four barrel
8 3/4 rear
front disc
big bolt pattern i think

i would defenitly do the 70 grill though already have someone who would trade in a heartbeat

That rust looks fixable from the pics. Do you know how the roof is around the rear window? and see if the cowl vents are clogged up with debris. I would go with the 72. You say you want to learn a few things, this is a great start. $2300 isn't great but not a rip off either. You will find lots of help here at FABO to tackle this if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

well i have a full auto shop and paint booth in my school

everything i could possibly need

ya that was my next question to ask the guy was rust under and around the vynal top

how do i go about fixing it though

grind it down and put a rust stopper on it then fiberglass it?

how hard would it really be?

Heres some of my metal repair work if you care to view.
changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto.

This is definitally something you could do in your school shop.

You dont need fiberglass if you replace the metal.

Can you do minor tack welding with a wire fed welder?

then YOU CAN DO IT!..........stolen from "The Waterboy"

Chad, it looks like the '68 Barracuda has fallen out of contention. Good luck with your decision. I (personally) like the '72s better.

gtx experience we talked about how having the mechanic as a step dad makes it really hard to purchase a car

mom talked to him and i get whatever i can afford

this is all my money and all on me

how i would love the barracuda

i just cant afford it

thanks so much and i loved your story

home cloned you do some great work

do you have a parts car that your cutting the metal out of?

home cloned you do some great work

do you have a parts car that your cutting the metal out of?

Thanks amzchad, I am really a hack with no training in this. I bought a cheap welder and started practicing. Metal repair as in any work I do on my car is very gratifying for me.:-D

And yes I had some spare panels to cut from.

Hey, Bro, I'm from out here in the bay area, and I've been looking at the same cars as you, I've been looking for the right founadation to build on. There is a guy from fremont with a 66 cuda with a 318, for 1600 right now, and I went and looked at the car. The engine is essentially new, it has the 509 purple shaft in it, and it is not a solid cam like he listed. It has only a 7 1/4 rear end, so I chose not to buy the car, but the body is truly straight, the interior is old but there, and the engine and tranny alone are worth more than he's asking. That is a beastly 318. Nasty. I love it. You might give him a call... his name is Mark.. tell him Mike from San Jose sent you and work yourself a deal...

gtx experience we talked about how having the mechanic as a step dad makes it really hard to purchase a car
mom talked to him and i get whatever i can afford
this is all my money and all on me
how i would love the barracuda
i just cant afford it
thanks so much and i loved your story

No worries. Good luck with your decision. You have to get something that works for you. I still like the '72 vs the '73 (just a personal preference).

-
Back